Flemish Giant Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andreya

Reaction score
So, I don't want to be that person asking all of the stupid questions that are already answered here.... but does anyone else have a hard time finding decent large rabbit supplies? I just brought my girl home on Monday and most of the stuff I find online or off is for teeny bunnies. My rabbit is bigger than my cats and she's 5 months old.

Yes!!! I had a large rabbit (10/11ish pounds) larger than my cat who is quite big . I couldn’t find anything for the poor boy so I ended up making everything for myself. However I did find a few things for him. I can link my favorite things. Anything in particular you’re looking for?

Thank you! That would be amazing. Right now I'm trying to find toys/wood supplies for her. Can I ask what you did for food? It seems to either be 2.5 pounds or 50 pound bags. I know she's going to get bigger but 50 pounds seems excessive. Right now I have some sort of a large pig bowl as her litter box, and a covered throw pillow for her to sleep on. She's got a bowl and water dish, although I'm ordering her a larger one. She had never been out of a cage before, so has been absolutely ecstatic with just about everything right now. She found a little cat toy and was carrying it around, which tells me I need to get more.

The 50 lb bags are usually much more cost effective. You can freeze unused pellets to lengthen their shelf life, btw. Personally I'm not a fan of most the toys sold at stores - too many are expensive and too many are unsafe (I wouldn't risk using anything with cloth or string). Pine cones, golf balls, wiffle balls, untreated scrap wood, empty toilet paper rolls (you can stuff these with hay - they love that), and old feed cups are some cost-effective favorite toys of mine.

I don't have a freezer that is big enough but even if I waste some it's still cheaper than buying the little bags. Yeah, the only one I bought from the store so far was a wood mat and she hasn't touched it. Thanks for the ideas. :) I haven't actually seen her eat any hay yet, so I'm going to order a small bag of Oxbow (rather than another 40-pound bale that I have now) and see if she likes that better. I know when I had chinchillas preferred Oxbow.

Oxbow has 25 lb bags of rabbit food. For a litter box, a mortar mixing tray found at home improvement stores like home depot, works well. They have two sizes. I use the smaller 20x27 for my bonded rabbits.

If you want to list specific supplies you are looking for, it will be easier to know what to recommend to you. There are plenty of options for a large rabbit, it's just knowing where to look.

Chewy.com ! I buy hay and pellets from there! Binky bunny has a willow tent and a cardboard tunnel that’s should be big enough. I also know dog tunnels work for things to play in. I bought a huge cat litter box for him and built my own hay box with untreated pine . It was pretty easy but I know that 101rabbits sells them sometimes. I feed veggies most of the time and I normally just pick up enough for two days so it doesn’t go bad and then next time I’m out I’ll pick up more.

Yes! We ended up buying things for dogs in some cases: medium sized dog bed; extra large dog water bowl. We got the litter box for multiple cats that has raised sides; one fir litter box and one for hay. They work great. For toys, we make our own. Whenever we order something large, like shelves, she gets the box. For chew toys, Apple sticks and willow balls still work just fine.

As for pellets, the local feed store sometimes carries a 25 pound bag. When they are out we get the 50 pound. We never freeze the pellets; I just portion them into 1 gallon sized zip lock bags.

That's perfect. Thank you guys so much! I'll have to pick up some more litter boxes. Her new "cage" should be here in a few days. It's actually a cat enclosure that is solid wood and mesh and she'll have more room to move. For now I got her a 10-pound bag of Oxbow food, some new wood toys (with apple sticks) that are teeny but she likes them. She had a checkup at the vet yesterday and the vet said that she's healthy.

Hi Andrea,
I have a 6 month old Flemish giant. I had to think outside the box on this one, because he is a big boy and he needs big toys. Here are some examples of things I have gotten, plastic baby keys on a ring for $3 from amazon, set of 8 plastics stacking cups for babies from amazon for $3 - I put slices of carrots in the bottom of each cup and stacked them all up to get him interested. He loves to unstack them so much I rarely need to put treats in them anymore. He loves to play in the 4-way cat tunnel, also from amazon $20. I also order supplies from chewy. You can get a 25lb bag of oxbow rabbit pellets. I’m attaching some screenshots of things I have purchased that seem to work well..... Also large bird toys are good for shredding.

Attachments

• AFB2AC34-F36E-4EDF-9522-6EF774598247.png
    AFB2AC34-F36E-4EDF-9522-6EF774598247.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 18
  • E5B663BC-522F-4A64-8B60-24D84AD241CE.png
    E5B663BC-522F-4A64-8B60-24D84AD241CE.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 1C2B2A1B-6832-4335-AC66-9BF1F4EAD1E0.png
    1C2B2A1B-6832-4335-AC66-9BF1F4EAD1E0.png
    172.5 KB · Views: 12
  • A76A38FE-68E1-4536-9E3E-2498F02253FA.png
    A76A38FE-68E1-4536-9E3E-2498F02253FA.png