Flemish Fever Pictures

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I have to say, I am in awe. When I firstjoined this forum Iwas the only person with aFlemish. It was a tiny bit lonelybeing the onlyone.

Imagine my surprise when I look at the forum today and thereare Flemish everywhere. As you all kow I am a bit biased. I fell inlove with Flemish 2 years ago. I waited 9 months for my babies.

I thought it would be a lot of fun to see pictures of every oneelse's Flemish and share what got you interested in having a Flemish.Curious minds want to know.

I'll go first. I saw a picture of a magician holding a GIGANTICwhite bunny and just had to have one. Found out it was a Flemmie. Iresearched and found a breeder in North Carolina and in April of 2004 Ibrought home not one but two Flemmies. Athena sadly was only with usfor a month before she crossed to the Rainbow Bridge. Apollo I am suremost of you all know.

Portrait.jpg

Tina

Tina, as you know I don't have a flemmish, YET....

but I do have to say, my Wollo is lookin' more and more handsome each and every day!

Monkeys!:)

dajeti2 wrote:
I thought it would be a lot of fun to see picturesof every one else's Flemish and share what got you interested in havinga Flemish. Curious minds want to know.
Ok, I'll go!

In March I rescued a rabbit and had it for 5 days before returning itto the owner. I had been going through depression for monthsand getting better - but somehow, having the rabbit around made a BIGdifference in my life. Suddenly, someone "needed" me - andthat rabbit would sit in the chair with me while I watched tv and hewould come and wake me up if Art let him out of the bathroom before Iwas up.

When the owners saw my ad and claimed their rabbit, I cried.I had JUST bought his cage and was going to take it back to the storewhen my husband said, "You need a rabbit. I haven't heard youlaugh like you've been doing lately - in years! Let's findyou a rabbit."

Since we have 3 cats and a dog - I wanted a larger rabbit (I've come tobelieve the other rabbit was probably a New Zealand). Istarted doing research (in the midst of my tears) and within 3 days Ihad decided on getting a Flemish Giant due to their personality andsize.

I was talking to my family last night because I was thinking that I gotTiny 3 days after we returned Murphy/Fluffy...but I think it was 10days because I had to wait for the breeder to get back to me.Somehow, I guess I blanked out a week while I waited.

I do know that I cried every day and night until I got Tiny....

When we went to pick up Tiny, they started showing us the other breedsof rabbits that theybred - and we saw Tio &Kyo. I fell in love with their coloring and my daughter didtoo. My son bought these two rabbits for us.

Anyway, that is the story of how I got Tiny. I've got to saythat I've felt sort of funny on the board because I kept hearing howthe flemish bunnies are so loving to their owners, etc - and while Iloved Tiny - I didn't feel like he had bonded with me. Withinthe last 2-3 days, that has changed. He used to come by andnudge me and show me attention if I had food for him - but now - heseeks me out more. He jumped all over me on the couch todayand almost took a nap with me. He is starting to "play" withme and my daughter has said it's like suddenly his personality isshowing up because he feels comfortable with us. All I knowis....he's become the bunny I knew he could be.

Here are pictures of Tiny that I love. I want toshare a bunch of them - but these are among my favorites....and sinceTiny has his own thread...I better be selectivehere....right?

Peg

I have 6 dwarf variety rabbits and neverconsidered getting a large one, as I figured they would be too hard tohandle. Since joining this forum a few months ago I haveslowly fell in love with Nimue and Apollo, I enjoyed their stories andespecially their pictures. Suddenly one of those extremelylarge rabbits seemed like a pretty good idea, and the search started inearnest. I couldn't come up with a breeder close to me so Idid a search on ARBA and found a show close to me. I went tothat show last saturday and came home with the sweetest, gentlestlittle guy. And I couldn't be happier to join the ranks ofthe flemish fever:D. You gotta love the ears!

05-09-05.jpg

bigben05-08-05.jpg

And a special thanks to Nimue and Apollo (and their mommys) for turning me on to this special rabbit.

Lyndsy, am I hearing a Flemish in your future lol. Oh Peter...PLeassse? lol

Peg, Tiny is such a doll. I love that big guy.

Zoecat, Ben is gorgeous. I love his color. I have to say Icried when I read your reply. I am very touched. I am so glad thatApollo and I were a part of your decision.Thank you somuch.

This is really fun. I'm glad I did this.

Tina

My love for Flemish began when I was just alittle girl. My cousins used to raise them. I onlyremember their last 2, and never saw the babies (my cousins are mucholder then me), but they were just the sweetest buns. I'vebasically wanted one ever since. In fact, I always said if Ihad a rabbit, it would be a Flemish and nothing else.Needless to say, I didn't start with a Flemmie, I started with aHolland lop and then a mini lop, a mini Rex, a mini Rex mix, aCalifornian and another mini Rex before Sampson came into mylife. Since then we've been joined by another mini Rex andsoon another mini lop.

I kept telling Shawn the when we moved I was going to get one and hethought that was fine, but then I found a local breeder and she hadbabies then. So after just a few days, I had my baby athome. He's just wonderful. I can't get over hispersonality. I love him to death.

We are probably going to get him a Flemmie friend from the same breeder when she has another litter this summer.

Jen

dajeti2 wrote:

I thought it would be a lot of fun to see pictures of every oneelse's Flemish and share what got you interested in having a Flemish.Curious minds want to know.

Mmmm what got me interested inFlemishes....its a long story...

Well about a year ago I really wanted adog, actually I have ALWAYS wanted a dog. But we can’t have dogsbecause my mom is allergic So I got myself a ferret thinking that they wouldfulfill my need for a dog. WRONG! They kept getting out of their cage(to this day I still don’t know HOW they did it!) and one day they gotinto one of my birds cage and killed it *Sold the ferrets* Now I was right back where Istarted....looking for a pet that would replace my need for a dog. Atthat timeour family only had one rabbit, a Dutch, and sheisn’t very nice! So I started looking on the internet for a rabbit thathad the reputation of being nice. And can you guess what breed keptpopping up??? FLEMISH! And it was also a plus that they came in suchbig packages! So I went on the Flemish website and searched for aFlemish breeder in MA, well it just so happens that the only Flemishbreeder in the whole state lives in the next town over!!! SoI went to go visit him and we talked for a couple hours and then Ifinally decided to choose this GORGEOUS steel colored Flemish, we namedher Gwenivere.

gwenivere34.jpg

About a month later she passed away, and the cause is still unknown…

Then another month later we went and got Nimué!

He was so little then! Seriously I cant even remember when he was little!

So here he is! My big baby!

8.jpg

Boy do I love him to death!

P1010979.jpg

P1011017.jpg

~Amy

The more I read, the more I want to meet one!!I've sent a couple emails to breeders in my state.....wanna go and meetthese sweet critters everyone is talking about!

What inspired me to get a Flemish? Apollo Stories

PuterGeekGirl wrote:
The more I read, the more I want to meet one!! I've sent acouple emails to breeders in my state.....wanna go and meet these sweetcritters everyone is talking about!

You are too cool! Cali sends her love. Let us knowwhen you connect with a breeder. That's awesome,PuterGeekGirl.

I love the ears!!!! From what I see here, theynever grow into those ears huh? Looks like you could get agreat HBO signal with them bad boys!! ;)

Latest posts

Back