Flemish Breeding Colour Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizzyMayHarvey

Reaction score
So I am hoping to start breeding rabbits later this year and I have a question. I have been doing lots of research but I seemed to have missed this and only just found out that you cannot breed certain colours together. I havent been able to find the reason why that is. So I guess my question is why can you breed a Sandy Flemish Giant to a Fawn Flemish Giant but not Fawn to White etc. What would happen if you did? Can you not breed a White to a Black and have some of the babies be black while others are white? Thanks!

Those color crossing rules are based on American Rabbit Breeders Association standards. They only recognize 7 colors, and by crossing outside of the "rules" you get rabbits that are either poor examples of their color (like a fawn with dirty color) or colors that aren't part of the 7 and can't be shown or registered (like Frosty of Gold-tipped Steel). If you are not in the US the standards are often different.

Ok thanks! What would happen if you bred a white to a fawn? Would the babies be multicoloured or just messy?

Ok thanks! What would happen if you bred a white to a fawn? Would the babies be multicoloured or just messy?
Just messy colored. The genes for any type of spotting or marking don't exist in flemish. I've seen people cross whites and fawns before. Ended up with blacks with a bit of steel ticking

Latest posts

Back