FLEAS!?!?!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess24rose

Reaction score
My two bunnies have FLEAS!!! and I have no idea how to get rid of them!!! So can anyone tell me what the best way to get rid of them is?

Hi,
For fleas prevention, I use ‘advantage’.
It’s dosage depends on your rabbits weight and it should kill the fleas. It can be ordered online, in most pet shops ‘at least near me’, and at your vets.
I would also recommend using it as prevention after you’ve sold the issue.
This article should help!
https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-health/treating-your-pet-rabbit-for-fleas/
Good luck!

Hey there @jess24rose
Another good option is Ultrum powder. You can use it in the bunnies living space to help eradicate fleas and ticks. I don't know if you can get that in your area, but please remember you also have to ensure the fleas don't become a recurring problem. A rabbit savvy vet or a well-informed pet shop assistant may advise you on some sort of powder that will be safe for your rabbits, that you can apply to their living area.
Best wishes!

I have also used revolution that my vet gave her. They put it at the back of her neck so that she can’t reach it. First it was for fleas then mites.

I just flea combed Fizz every single day for several months with a flea comb and drowned those suckers in a cup of dish soap water until I could flush them down the toilet. It took a really long time but it eventually worked. I was afraid of using any flea solution on her so that's the route I went instead. I will say, whether you use flea solution or not, you're going to want to put down borax powder EVERYWHERE and especially on carpets, fabrics, floor cracks, etc. Anywhere the flea eggs can hide. My whole apartment looked like it had snowed for a while I got so over-zealous about things, even put it between my mattress and box spring. I washed and machine dried my bedding and the rabbits towels in a two week pattern too to kill any eggs. I maybe went a bit overboard but if you don't kill the flea eggs, even if you get rid of the original fleas the problem is just going to come back again. So you're going to want to de-flea both your rabbit AND your living area and you're going to want to stay on top of it until you're sure there's no chance of a come back.

You can buy a big box of borax powder in the detergent section here. I'm not sure how available it is where you are but its basically salt that's safe for pets and humans if they get it on them. It eats through the eggshells and the exo-skeletons of the fleas. If you don't have borax you've probably got something similar because its a standard 'old school' way of whitening clothes. I wouldn't put it on your rabbit but it should go on just about everything else that might be a flea egg haven.

(I also heard that rosemary powder was something fleas don't like. Same for sage powder. I did put a bit of sage powder in Fizz's cage on her bedding the entire time too but I don't know, other than smelling good, if it helped or not)

.....and now I'm feeling itchy lol

Thank you all for this great information! I am going to start flea combing and try the borax or maybe diotomaceous earth before I go for the meds. My rabbits are lionheads and they seem to only have fleas in their manes! I have searched the rest of their fur and the fleas are only in the long hair of the mane. They also have lost some chunks of fur there revealing the skin, which is upsetting, but...I guess its natures way of helping them get rid of the fleas? I am hoping that my daily attention to this matter can bring it under control and help them heal their mane areas. If not, I will call in the vet and go for the meds.

Latest posts

Back