Fleas :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredsmom

Reaction score
Hi All,

Any Advice on how to best get rid of fleas.. Fred got some little ones and they jumped off him when I was combing his fur out.

I usually try to brush him and use a fine comb to get the shedding hair out and I check him and he was always good, but all of sudden he did pick them up somewhere.. ( I was away in japan and he stayed with my cousin whose neighbor has a dogs, cats, birds and all kinds of animals and she told me she saw a Flea on him and panic and combed him and try to get some off him that jumped on him. ) that was about a week ago, now he seems to have a lot more than just few :/

On a side note; I refuse to add the medicine the vet uses on the back on his skin on top of the head because he had a super bad experience the first time around, I think it burned him and it was just bad all around.

Anyone know of a bath a can use to rinse them out and hopefully help from not jumping on him, or any light you can shed would be helpful.

Thank you so much, Fred and I appreciate it!
I can also try to take him to the vet but I work super late this week and I won’t be able to make it. I wanted to get Bunz expert option if I can avoid a call or trip to the vet.

What do you all do to avoid fleas..
Fred is 2 years and 2 months, and he is 3.5-4 pounds.

Thank you!

Fred’s mom

Attachments

• 44AB3C39-E5B1-4A2C-8D0D-2ACAE199B3E4.jpeg
    44AB3C39-E5B1-4A2C-8D0D-2ACAE199B3E4.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 5
Well, usually the treatment is either regular Advantage or Revolution. If you did the Advantage last time, maybe Revolution would be better tolerated. Revolution is better and preferred anyways. Since your bun has already been to the vet for flea treatment(?), you may be able to just call in and pick up a scrip so you don't have to bring your bun in, or maybe get it online if you can't get in to the vet. If you do the Revolution, just make sure your vet doses it correctly. Some less experienced vets under dose. Suggested dosage is at least 18mg/kg.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could use. It's not really recommended to fully bathe rabbits as it can be highly stressful to some rabbits and it's not unheard of for it to cause cardiac arrest to occur. You can check out this link that has info on treating fleas in rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

Well, usually the treatment is either regular Advantage or Revolution. If you did the Advantage last time, maybe Revolution would be better tolerated. Revolution is better and preferred anyways. Since your bun has already been to the vet for flea treatment(?), you may be able to just call in and pick up a scrip so you don't have to bring your bun in, or maybe get it online if you can't get in to the vet. If you do the Revolution, just make sure your vet doses it correctly. Some less experienced vets under dose. Suggested dosage is at least 18mg/kg.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you could use. It's not really recommended to fully bathe rabbits as it can be highly stressful to some rabbits and it's not unheard of for it to cause cardiac arrest to occur. You can check out this link that has info on treating fleas in rabbits.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

Thank you so much, I will have to call the vets. See what we can do

Fred’s mom

Hi All,

Any Advice on how to best get rid of fleas.. Fred got some little ones and they jumped off him when I was combing his fur out.

I usually try to brush him and use a fine comb to get the shedding hair out and I check him and he was always good, but all of sudden he did pick them up somewhere.. ( I was away in japan and he stayed with my cousin whose neighbor has a dogs, cats, birds and all kinds of animals and she told me she saw a Flea on him and panic and combed him and try to get some off him that jumped on him. ) that was about a week ago, now he seems to have a lot more than just few :/

On a side note; I refuse to add the medicine the vet uses on the back on his skin on top of the head because he had a super bad experience the first time around, I think it burned him and it was just bad all around.

Anyone know of a bath a can use to rinse them out and hopefully help from not jumping on him, or any light you can shed would be helpful.

Thank you so much, Fred and I appreciate it!
I can also try to take him to the vet but I work super late this week and I won’t be able to make it. I wanted to get Bunz expert option if I can avoid a call or trip to the vet.

What do you all do to avoid fleas..
Fred is 2 years and 2 months, and he is 3.5-4 pounds.

Thank you!

Fred’s mom[/QUOTE--yes,- indeed fred,s mom,-$45.-walmart,etc.--advantage II,-small cat-5-9lb,-orange box of 4 tubes{0.4ml ea.}imidacloprid/pyriproxyfen,--please read the directions carefully,only apply back of neck,{skin}-as demonstrated,this is water proof -note:,any insecticide carries with it strong warnings,misuse jepordizes the animal life..-always do research ...any rabbitier cringes at the thought of sissors and water..all fleas will be dead in a few hours,less than 12 hours,-I also use a food grade diatomaceous earth-1-800-667-0336,-sincerely james waller for joseph r cottontail/bdenium rip
[

Latest posts

Back