Fleas! What to use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnycat

Reaction score
Yesterday I found a flea on Bean so I got our flea comb and alas, I found more. He doesn't really have any flea dirt, but I've found multiple fleas, and I want to get rid of this as soon as possible. I have another rabbit as well who I got several weeks ago, and I think she may have fleas as well. (She doesn't like being touched or groomed much.)

Can I only get Revolution and Advantage through a vet prescription? Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

That's a good question. I've always wondered what to do in a case like this.. I don't know the answer, but a vet prescription is always a good way to go. I hope more people comment on this soon and that your bun-buns are flea-free very soon!! :dutch:brown-bunny

I don't believe you do. If you google Advantage you will see it can be brought on-line and is in big pet store franchises.

But If it was me, I would contact a Rabbit Savy Vet to see exactly how to apply it.

Also Diatomaceous Earth is good to combat fleas as well. I use it on my dog to prevent fleas plus sprinkle it on the ground where my bunnies run. I haven't had a flea problem yet.

Hope this helps.

K:)

I've heard that Sevin Dust is good for treating the lawn for fleas. Since we had a mild winter I probably need to treat our lawn. If needed, we use Revolution on our rabbits and we get the puppy/kitten dose. It's applied between the shoulders.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm looking into Diatomaceous Earth, but I'll also check out the other stuff. :)

Yeah, Texas had a very mild and short winter, so our lawn should definitely be treated as well.

I would never let a pet rabbit on a lawn treated with sevin. Doing a web search for sevin rabbits indicates that it can cause nerve damage or even death.

LakeCondo wrote:
I would never let a pet rabbit on a lawn treated with sevin. Doing a web search for sevin rabbits indicates that it can cause nerve damage or even death.

I guess it depends on which website you read. The 5% Sevin Dust is okay for rabbits according to a vet on a house rabbit society website I found. At any rate, I don't let my rabbits run around in the yard because I don't want to have to do preventative treatment for worms. I bring them inside if I need to exercise them.

Revolution in the puppy/kitten boxes straight from the vet are the best ways to go i think. Had many experiences with other products bought from questionable places (yes even petco and petsmart) at our vet clinic

I worry about diatomaceous earth due to it being quite rough if accidentally ingested. I would not use Sevin. The best antiparasitics for bunnies are Revolution and Advantage. Usually in the US you do have to have a prescription, even when bought online. Antiparasitics are nothing to mess with--they can cause some serious problems if there is a bad reaction or the dose isn't correct. I personally would go with the safest option, which is probably Revolution.

DE is very soft except for beings with exoskeletons. A number of people ingest some daily & say it has improved their health. I'm thinking about trying it myself. The only problem with DE that I've heard of is if the dust gets in the eyes or lungs.

Latest posts

Back