flea treatment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martind

Reaction score
hi all. hope someone can help.
we have two rabbits and they are due their flea treatment.the vet said to buy xenex ultra spot on treatment,which we have purchased.
i know what dose to give each rabbit as they have only just been weighed. the problem i have is i keep reading that after putting drops onto their necks they need to be seperated so the dont groom each other and injest the solution. does anyone know how long they need to be kept apart for. i read somewhere it was 24 hours but that seems a long time to me,although i am new to all this.
many thanks for your time.

That sounds like a great question to ask the vet that recommended the product. I'm not familiar with xenex ultra. What's the active ingredient (e.g. permethrin, selamectin, etc.)

i used advantage which my vet gave me and it does not state a time period so i waited till they were both dry where i put the drops and then put them together. this product is the best i found as i had tried others but didnt seem to get rid of the fleas. :)

Permethrin is considered safe for dogs (but definitely not safe for cats!), but there are definitely products I'd consider safer and more effective on a rabbit like selamectin (revolution) or imidacloprid (advantage). Never use fipronil (frontline) on a rabbit.

Also you said they are "due their flea treatment." Have you actually seen fleas on them or other pets in the household. Personally I don't use parasiticides on my rabbits unless I've seen a specific parasite. I'm all for using them on dogs and cats that go outside or live in a household with pets that go outside regularly.

Thanks for all the advice.
The xenex we bought is for rabbits and small animals.this is what the vet uses at the animal sanctuary we got them from.our rabbits live in our garden but neither of our neighbours or us have other pets. I was using flea treatment as most places i looked at said flea treatment should be used every 2 to 4 weeks.,is this correct or just a great sales pitch by the makers of treatments.
Thanks everyone for your replys.really helpful.

Are the rabbits going outside regularly? I see that their outside in your avatar.

Sometimes that need to dose so often comes because the drug itself may not be that useful on the animal it's being used on. Bunnys do have a pretty fast metabolism and the half life of a drug in their system tends to be a bit faster then other drugs. I dont know much about that drug, honestly, never ever heard of it. But I wont use anything by selamectin on my guys.

they live outside all the time and have a run they can aceess 24.7. our garden is enclosed and no animals in the house or with either neighbours.just need to know if they need doing every couple of weeks or once a month.. thanks

Permethrin is a pretty common parasiticide. You can buy clothing impregnated with it at places like REI to wear while hiking. Some fleas (at least here in the US) are resistant to it.

I really don't know the answer to your original question though; I'd ask the vet.

Latest posts

Back