Flea problem, shave down angora?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GalaxyPie

Reaction score
In the 15yrs I've had rabbits I've never dealt with fleas on my rabbits. My dog and cat get preventative treatment. Last night I noticed my fuzzy lop had a few fleas while I was grooming him. No one else appeared to have indication of fleas but i know they probably have them too. 20200824_004425.jpgProbably because squirrels come up to our front entrance where the bunnies play. I immediately capstar'd my cat and dog, and got advantage for my buns. I know the eggs are the biggest issue and wanted to know if I should shear my lop short like I do in the summer. Its hard to get the flea comb through my buns coat since its so thick and I want to make sure it gets free of flea poop too.
Its not a full on break out and I'm stripping out bedding and treating everything today, but I want to ensure it stays controlled.
Thoughts on shearing him short? He's an indoor rabbit but his coat is so pretty. (See icon)
Edit: he has a naked spot on his coat due to scar tissue due to injury in his previous home. Not due to scratching

It's up to you. Since you have experience clipping him and he's indoors, it won't hurt for him to have a short coat and may help better with clearing up the fleas. If you want him to keep his nice coat, you could try the treatment without clipping and see how it goes.

Update: I went ahead and sheared him which was a good move as I found out he'd pull the fur naked on his back end I couldn't see. I haven't seen anymore crawling creatures since I put the advantage II on. I put some cream on the naked part to soothe him. Everyone else is happy and flea free. My little Totoro is such a fragile little man. Totoro is sad he has to sleep in his xpen and not with his mom and dad upstairs.

Poor little guy. I'm glad you got it all sorted. Do you just separate for the recommended 24 hours?

Poor little guy. I'm glad you got it all sorted. Do you just separate for the recommended 24 hours?

Yes. My bonded pair are having a fit about it as they are never apart. My little guy is just upset he's cage bound while I've been cleaning house. He usually sleeps with my husband and I so he's upset he can't.

Latest posts

Back