Fixed rabbit spraying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSketchyBunnies

Reaction score
With My Rabbits... Where Else Would I Be?!?!
Hello! I have a male and female fixed bonded pair of buns. My male is spraying around the cage and it is very visible on my wall. I think it might be because I fixed him when he was about a year old so it is a habit. The pair isn’t very territorial. Any way to fix this? My Dad and I are planning on building them a new cage soon and I’m really hoping he doesn’t ruin all our hard work.. Any help is very much appreciated!! :)

Thanks!

-Kaylor

How long ago was he neutered? As they're bonded it's been quite some time, so it might really be just habitual behaviour.
Sadly i cannot give any good advice because i've never had this situation.

Do you have any new animals in the house? Sometimes rabbits will feel threatened by the new animal and feel the need to mark their territory.

@Catlyn he got neutered January 19th 2020. I bonded my buns mid may and they were fully bonded a month later. :) Thank you for your help!

@Mariam+Theo the only new animals that I have in the house are my two parakeets. They live in the same room but I don’t think it is them because he started doing it a while before I got them and they are totally fine with the birds company. Thank you for your help! :)

When did you get the dog and cats? Do you ever volunteer at rescues or visit friends with pets? Etc.

i’ve had the dog & cats before I got my rabbits. I don’t volunteer at any animal rescues or anything of the sort. I do visit friends with pets but I always wash my hands after touching their pets. Btw thank you so much for helping me narrow it down!

Do you change your clothes after being around your friend's pets? It seems crazy but the smell could be carried by clothing and shoes. Have there been any changes to the rabbits' room?
No problem, it is what I'm here for.

It might be likely that the unchanged clothes are the culprit after all.
I spent a long weekend with my aunt who has two dogs and a cat, and we visited her relatives who have non-pet rabbits.
Even though i washed my hands many times, Storm would still run away from and thump at me.
So it is definetly worth a shot changing clothes after other non-residental pets.

Yup, I agree with Catlyn! The clothes are probably causing him to spray. Let us know if this trick works.

Latest posts

Back