Fixapalooza 2012

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally understand about the worry. Becky had a hard time with her spay the first couple days but then she recovered and is good as new. Cilantro and bananas were wonderful to get her to eat. Just make sure to get pain meds for home.

When Gary was neutered I created a silly thread in bunny chat. I pretended what I thought he was going through during the day. Becky went with him for support since they were bonded. The humor helped me relax a little during the day until I could pick them up. He was perfectly fine by the next day.

The hardest part honestly is keeping them quiet. Mine are free roam so putting them into a pen was horrific to them.

Yay, my babies survived! The vet just called. She said she did Maximus first and he's sitting up and eating already. Then she did Kerensa, and she's still waking up. Mabel went last and just got out of surgery and she hasn't woken up yet. I'll be relieved once everyone is awake! We can pick them up in 3 hours. The vet said they're getting lots of attention from the techs because they're so adorable and friendly :D Wish I could be there with them but at least they're getting some love.

I am so happy that your bunnies got through so well! Please keep us updated :bunny18

It puts my hopes up since I'm going to be scheduling Faith's spay surgery ASAP.

April, I mentioned poor Trillian to the vet :( So sad!! Are you extra nervous now about getting Faith spayed?

We're home with the bunnies! Poor Kerensa looks terrible. Do they put ointment on bunnies' eyes during the surgery or something? The fur around her eyes is all matted and it makes her look like she feels like crap. In spite of how she looks, I think she's doing okay- not moving around a ton but she's already hopped into her litter box and eaten a cecal and stuff. Mabel is pretty wide eyed and seems to be doing well, again not hopping around a ton but that's to be expected. Maximus went first and his surgery wasn't as invasive so he looks very bright eyed, but he doesn't want to come out of the carrier so I have it sitting next to me on the couch and he can come out on his own!

One downside is everything cost more than they said it will. We were quoted $90 for a neuter and $110 for a spay and the total was $480. I know, not as much as a lot of people have to pay, but it's kinda yikes since it was unexpected and all at once.

Regardless, I'm so glad my babies are okay! Going to give them their pain meds here in a little bit.

Here's poor little zonked out Kerensa:

IMG_7786.jpg

"What just happened?"

She looks so heartbreakingly pathetic!

Maximus finally came out of the carrier, he's eating hay and actually acting pretty normally. Mabel is loafing.

Glad everyone is doing good and is home... My poor sweet Kerensa though, looks like she had an ordeal haha. I'm sure she's doing much better now though. :)

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Do they put ointment on bunnies' eyes during the surgery or something? The fur around her eyes is all matted and it makes her look like she feels like crap.
Yes! Our bun had ointment on his eyes during the surgery and he looked awful when we picked him up! It just made him look so sad and miserable :( He's working on washing it off himself (it kinda takes awhile to be fully gone). Nibbles was neutered last Thursday and there are still a few traces of the ointment. But he's back to his regular self, which is awesome!

Both my boys came home the same way, with ointment. My Rabbit Vet said the ointment is used when under anesthesia to protect their eyes because they don't close them.

He told me, "Don't worry Mom, it will wear off."

And it did. They did look terrible but it's done for their own good to protect their eyes.

Aww hope your buns recover quickly! I'm sure they'll be doing better in no time :sickbunny:

Wow! How'd it end up being so much more expensive than they had originally quoted you? I would've protested..:p

Franklin just got neutered today!! I'm so happy I have been waiting so long for this day! My boss did it and she texted me right after. All went well and he was gradually waking up and eating after his surgery. I wish i could have been there but darn classes got in the way.

Do I need to watch out for him messing with his incision like you do with dogs and cats?

SnowyShiloh wrote:
April, I mentioned poor Trillian to the vet :( So sad!! Are you extra nervous now about getting Faith spayed?bit.

I was until I took her to the vet this past wednesday. The vet said Faith seems very "robust" compared to Trillian. That makes me feel better. Also Faith is much younger than Trillian was so I'm staying positive :). Faith is getting spayed on the 30th.

So glad to hear your bunnies are doing well!! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back