Fish Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cassnessxox

Reaction score
So I have noticed that quite a few on the forum keep fish. I have been looking all over the internet for answers but not a site seems to be able to tell it to me straight.

I have recently acquired a 74L glass fish tank (I think about 20 gallons). I have no idea what kind of fish or how many of them I can keep in it! I don't have a particular fish in mind which is the problem. All the sites say 'pick a fish you like, research it, then buy a tank to suit it' but I already have a tank and aren't fussy as to what fish I keep!

I have a heater and a filter though I'm not sure it's strong enough as it came with the tank we got off a friend.

Also, would this tank be large enough to keep a turtle? An Oblong Turtle in particular as it's the only kind available here in Western Australia. I can't even find a straight answer for that one :dunno

Would a single male Siamese Fighting Fish be ok in a tank that large? Provided I give him places to hide?
Also, can Neon Tetras be housed with fighting fish? I assumed they would get eaten but I researched it anyway. Some people say there has been aggression, others have said they had no problems. I just thought the tank would be quite empty with only one small fish and I have always liked tetras but again the tank would be quite empty with only a few tetras in it.

You could probably put a dozen tetras or so in there and probably some other fish like danios or gouramis into there with no real worries, we've had all three in a 2 ft tank with no fights, plus some weeds for hiding if needed. I wouldn't really put a betta (siamese fighting fish) in there with tetras cause the tetras are known for biting at the betta's fins. Is it a 2 or 3 foot long tank and what kind of filter and heater did you get with it?

It's 76cm x 30cm and 38cm deep, so like 2.5 foot
The heater says Vitapet 75W Aquarium Water Heater, the filter says Clear free on it but that's all, it didn't come in a box

So would a siamese by itself be ok?

you could do a solo betta with a few flashy fish. i like keeping livebearers in tanks bc if the fry arnt eaten as live food (which is really healthy for the fish) then you get to see little guys grow up.

but put some plants in there and a single betta with some snails, or even get some cherry shrimp (they breed easy ad fun to watch) you would be fine

heaters are needed depending on fish type, most will need an average temp of 76-78ish

Ooo both those ideas sound good, I'll just have to see what I can find at the Aquarium.
I know bettas are solitary fish but I would feel bad having it all alone in such a big space. I have seen how sad they look in the tiny tanks at the pet shop and would love to see one swimming around and enjoying the space.

some are solitary, they dont do well kept with other males. you can keep femals together, though. also, any fish you add in shouldnt have big pretty fins, like male guppys, because the betta may nip at them :) im a platy fan though all the way. but for sure go planted, even minimal lighting can support water wisteria and java moss. will get a pic later of my tank to show you..sadly its too high flow for a betta, even the girls couldnt handle it

We used to have one male betta and like 3 females all together in a tank about the size of yours. They did pretty well, but the females did gang up on the male and nip his fins off. They grew back and the females stopped nipping him. We also put the females in with our communal tank and they did very well.
Me personally, I love betta's. They're one of my favorite fish. They're so quiet and they're very responsive to their owners. I had one male crowntail betta that lived in my kitchen in a one gallon tank and that fish was amazing! He would come to the tank when I walked up to him, he would follow my fingers around the sides of the tank, he would let me pet him. He was a total sweetie. I did love that fish.
Sorry for rambling, it just brought me back to a lovely fish!

With plants do you just need lots of rocks or do you need sand or something? The tank is sort of near a shaded window but the light should be ok

I can't wait to pick out a pretty fishy ^_^ We have a biiiig pet shop a little while away but it's really great for fish and reptiles. They have a few different really flashy bettas, I think they have some females there to

With a tank that size you could put multiple female bettas in there. It's called a sorority, it works best if ALL the bettas are put in at once and they have lots of plants and caves to establish their bossy little territories. Females may not have flashy long fins but honestly, shorter fins are better for the fish and the colors are just as varied. Female bettas can be fiesty and make great entertaining pets.
However, I would not start a sorority until whatever is alive in the tank now are dealt with. Do you have pics? Maybe someone here can help identify them so you can research their individual needs.

Bettas can live with some other community fish.

So we went to the aquarium to pick out some fish and...we came home with 2 blue yabbies!! lol So a bit of a different direction! We got 6 guppies to go with them though we know that some of them may not survive. The tank still needs a bit of decoration but at the moment they have a big holey rock and a tunnel that blows bubbles to hide in!

Lots of rock caves :) i knew someone who bred them, and he kept guppies with his and they did okay lol. fry make good food. pics?

keep in mind, they may fight and someone will get declawed and killed if it gets bad. so lots of caves and things to keep their line of sight seperated

We have a nice big holey rock and a tunnel so far but we will accumulate more over time. They do appear to be fighting over who gets to live in the rock though, might have to go get another one tomorrow =S

IMG_20130109_173328.jpg

IMG_20130109_173502.jpg

You can also use PVC pipe and hot glue or stack rocks around it to make a safe formation and a good hidey hole for them.

I think they are the same thing, they are known by a lot of names. Here in Australia I grew up on a farm and as a kid we would catch yabbies in our ****. I think yabby is an aussie name for freshwater crayfish.

Yabbies, crayfish, crawfish, "freshwater lobsters"(sometimes labels at the petstore) are all names for crayfish. Yabbies are the australian species, Crayfish/crawfish are what they are called in north america.

I used to have a blue crayfish. His name was Dr. pinchy and he was awesome. He was bright blue with neon pink edges on his claws. I've had a couple crayfish over the years but mostly just the regular brownish species. They are really neat pets and interesting to watch. I've been thinking about setting up a tank for another one.

I've also seen CPO crayfish(dwarf orange crayfish) at my LFS. They are supposedly "safe" to keep with each other or other fish. So I might get those to add to my community tank and see how it goes. They stay tiny and are a bright orange, pretty cool.

add to a community and they will eat/kill any fish they can get ahold of. their more for the centerpeice for a tank and you get dithers (too fast to be caught, ie danios) to get some movement :)

Latest posts

Back