First Time Rabbit Owner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy

Reaction score
So yesterday I brought home my first bun!

I've been working at a Christmas Tree farm for the holidays, and we have baby bunnies for sale at the farm. I fell in love with them! During slow times and when I was at home I did hours of researching, watching videos, ect. I decided that I could take care of a rabbit and I'd enjoy having one in my life! I'm so excited!!

I can't buy or build the cage until I get paid on Tuesday, so my little bun has been using the cage my rats used awhile ago. (I built it myself, its not very wide, mostly tall, since my rats loved to climb.)

I'm not sure of my bun's gender yet, and I don't want to chase him to pick him up. When I first brought him home he was letting me hold him, but now he's unsure of me. Which is fine! He'll warm up eventually. But I have chosen a name: Remmy!

Remmy is a baby, not sure how old, but can't be older than a few months. I'm also unsure of the breed. I'll have to ask these questions next time I can talk to the owner of the Tree farm!

When I brought Remmy home I let him(Or her) stay in his cage practically unbothered overnight. He got his hay, some celery, carrots, and pellets. I haven't gotten any toys yet, but that's what I get today!

Today I got Remmy out and put him in a small area of the room he's staying in (big enough from him to run around and go nuts lol). I've been joining him in this area and just sitting on my computer and doing work. He likes to hide behind me and run around and play. He still won't let me touch him though. Any suggestions on the best way to bond?

Also, pictures of Remmy! (He/She is so beautiful they love to stare at themselves in the mirror!)

This is Remmy at his/her hutch yesterday:
do_not_delete_by_magnetmomo-d9iivav.jpg

These are from this morning:

snapchat__2668109012005979294_by_magnetmomo-d9ik5um.jpg

snapchat__4983409439230989408_by_magnetmomo-d9ik5uv.jpg

Just spend time with your baby and try petting on the head and then the head and jawbone/cheek--mine just love it and will tooth purr(grind). Most rabbits don't like to be picked up and held as it is a predator adaption but they do relax after awhile. You will have to work at it or else grooming and nail clipping will be an absolute nightmare. Mostly I remind rabbit people that they should train the rabbit not let it train you--keep at it as consistency is the biggest key and keep all approach slow while talking softly and showing them your outstretched hands--that has worked with most of our difficult ones. Repetition and consistency and they will accept it even if they don't necessarily like it.

Just spend time with your baby and try petting on the head and then the head and jawbone/cheek--mine just love it and will tooth purr(grind). Most rabbits don't like to be picked up and held as it is a predator adaption but they do relax after awhile.

Bunny, our house rabbit of almost 12 years of age when she passed, was a rescue rabbit and also was very reserved. She would not initially approach to be petted but she did love a forehead petting and a shoulders massage. If the rabbit is enjoying it's shoulder massage, you can put your ear down next to their face and hear their teeth chattering and their deep breathing. My bun enjoyed all of her backbone to be gently scratched, including her hips. Our bun was a rescue rabbit and we don't know her background. It took years for her to really loosen up.

Do you know rabbits can be vocal? Once they bond with you they will occasionally verbally communicate as need be.

I now have two Flemish baby rabbits. One of them is very friendly and will approach for a petting. The other is more reserved. I expect this rabbit will be like Bunny and a little slow to fully bond.

Latest posts

Back