First time rabbit owner - advice please??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiiAnn

Reaction score
Hello I'm a first time rabbit owner since I was a little girl and he's a big boy..So any kinda advice you can possibly give me on treats,litter training,toys,etc..I definitely would greatly appreciate it..His name is Cupid and we named him that cause we got him in February,he's only 9months and he'll be a year in May20200317_223932.jpg

Welcome! He is a cute rabbit! I think he is a Flemish Giant which means he is going to get big! What does his diet look like? For treats, a slice of apple or carrot will be good once daily, but don't give him any store-bought treats because they are dangerous.
For litter training: Litter Training.
For toys: How to Weave a Willow Ring (DIY Willow Toys).
For etc: House Rabbit Society | Buy a Bunny a Little Time.
I suggest getting him neutered soon because it will really help him become the best bunny!

That what I was going to say, you need to rabbit-proof your home asap, hide all cords immediately!

Hello! I am pretty new to this as well, I have a 1 yr old and i just got a 2 mo old but I have learned a lot in the past year! A super easy toy to give him is the cardboard at the end of a paper towel/toilet paper roll! My rabbit loves those! Also yes, be careful with your cords (I learned this the hard way with many phone chargers).
For litter training, I found that putting the hay feeder so that the bunny must be in the litter box to eat works nicely. My girl learned super quick and my little baby seems to be learning too! Any time he poops somewhere else, put it in the box. If he pees somewhere else, make sure to clean it (for me, I use fleece to line the cage so i take it out and wash it).
For treats I usually give my bunny parsley or broccoli. The only in store treats I buy are the Oxbow ones, my bunny likes the dried bananas! Don’t give him too much fruit though.
Good luck! You got this!

He has actually only ate one of my charger cords since I've got him and he only did that cause I stopped giving him attention for a second lol..He loves greens and his favorite treat is celery,he's not to fond of carrots though..I'm not quite sure on fruit though I haven't tried to introduce him to any yet..He's really not interested in the toilet paper rolls unless there's Hay in them..I have giving him soo much cardboard which he acts like he's not in interested it but he definitely has absolutely NO problem chewing on his wooded cage we just made him🤦🤦 The breeder I got him from only mentioned to me about giving him greens and how he loved apple wood sticks and the balls for chew toys..How do I go about with introducing him to different treats and toys??

You can start with a little bit and add on every other day. Make sure he is acting normal and pooping and peeing fine while you add veggies to his diet.

He has actually only ate one of my charger cords since I've got him and he only did that cause I stopped giving him attention for a second lol..He loves greens and his favorite treat is celery,he's not to fond of carrots though..I'm not quite sure on fruit though I haven't tried to introduce him to any yet..He's really not interested in the toilet paper rolls unless there's Hay in them..I have giving him soo much cardboard which he acts like he's not in interested it but he definitely has absolutely NO problem chewing on his wooded cage we just made him🤦🤦 The breeder I got him from only mentioned to me about giving him greens and how he loved apple wood sticks and the balls for chew toys..How do I go about with introducing him to different treats and toys??
Welcome to the forum! I’m a little late to this one! He’s adorable btw! Flemishes just kill my heart, I need one! 🥰
I would rabbit proof, rabbits are fastidious chewers and will take any wire they see. For his safety and your sanity, I would try to keep wires away from him. Rabbit proofing not only helps him but it’ll help you too. Apollo has chewed and distorted countless of my things that I’ve carelessly let on the floor. One of them being a very important school test! My rabbit loves willow sticks and plastic balls with a bell inside. He also likes slinkies! You don’t need to slowly introduce toys unless they have food in them. As for veggies and treats, I’d do what Mariam+Theo said, do a little and add more every other day. If you have any specific questions it’ll be much easier for us to answer! Good luck with him!

Latest posts

Back