First time pregnant rabbit - not sure if she's behaving as she should

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x.ious

Reaction score
My rabbit recently got mated and its been about 30ish days from then, we thought she wasn't pregnant since she hasn't been nesting or acting unusual but she's been laying down more often and we've even seen something move around her stomach constantly and well she's either supposed to give birth today or tomorrow but she's acting really energetic like how she normally is yet she has a big appetite but im wondering if this is normal since this is her first pregnancy?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201013-090655_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201013-090655_Photos.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 6
It's pretty normal. Rabbits can act a lot of different ways when they're pregnant. Quite common for their behavior to not change at all. Mine don't really start nesting until about 30 minutes before they give birth.

Same here, it can take some days more than average, one of my does consistantly kindles on day 34-35. Serious nestbuilding starts shortly before they kindle.
Appetite can wane somewhat 1-2 days before, but that isn't always noticeable. Just make sure she has lots of nesting material, privacy and no stress.

Yes this is normal behavior - sometimes does wait to nest until hours before giving birth (or sometimes after kindling since they aren't sure what to do). My does consistently kindle on days 30 - 31. Being lethargic is a good indication she is pregnant, but sometimes it's easy to overthink it and she's actually acting the same as normal! Appetite should have increased during pregnancy, but don't be alarmed if she eats less and drinks more near the end of her term. She should have a "baby bump" / firm belly at this far along, here's a good example of what to look for (and yes, Emerald loves to play dead and be dramatic when she's almost due):
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200102215558054_COVER.jpg

Yes this is normal behavior - sometimes does wait to nest until hours before giving birth (or sometimes after kindling since they aren't sure what to do). My does consistently kindle on days 30 - 31. Being lethargic is a good indication she is pregnant, but sometimes it's easy to overthink it and she's actually acting the same as normal! Appetite should have increased during pregnancy, but don't be alarmed if she eats less and drinks more near the end of her term. She should have a "baby bump" / firm belly at this far along, here's a good example of what to look for (and yes, Emerald loves to play dead and be dramatic when she's almost due):
View attachment 50931

Thanks for the information! she hasn't given birth yet and its the 34th day, let's hope she goes in labor tomorrow!

This is pretty far along in her term - She should be nearing birth and giving you multiple signs if she's actually pregnant! I have found that dwarf / smaller breeds tend to kindle on days 30 - 32. Larger breeds typically need a day or two longer, at least in my experience. Has it been 34 days since she was first put with a buck, or last contact with one? We tend to do the breeding over the span of a few days so the due date fluctuates.

Again, she is overdue and at this point I think it would be wise to check on her often during the day. Flip her over and check constantly for stuck babies. I also like to use a baby monitor camera to watch my mama's throughout the night and give them peace while still keeping an eye on them during the day. Has she pulled any fur, and how is the nest looking? If she seems to be acting herself, there's a good chance she is not even pregnant at all. Either way, keep us updated!

Latest posts

Back