First time bunny owner. Any help appreciated.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried Romaine lettuce today. She turned her nose up at it. No to grapes, no to strawberries, no to bananas, and no to lettuce. A big fat yes to pellets and hay. I don't get it, man. What it I can't get her to eat leafy greens? Are they vital or will she be fine on pellets and hay?

The litterbox is perfect but I recomed getting a old fabric grocery bag and cut some large holes in it to let the hat out of,

The co trainer your using is either gonna get knocked over or pooped on 😅

I'll make a post in a minute with recommendations of hay feeders and diy hay feeders

T
I tried Romaine lettuce today. She turned her nose up at it. No to grapes, no to strawberries, no to bananas, and no to lettuce. A big fat yes to pellets and hay. I don't get it, man. What it I can't get her to eat leafy greens? Are they vital or will she be fine on pellets and hay?

They are pretty vital

And I have a baby bunny that hates all leafy greens except broccoli and collard greens

I would go to the grocery store and plan to make a big salad for your dinner that night and buy a bunch of different leafy greens and herbs and give her a piece of each to see if she likes any of them

Cause if you plan to eat a big salad then anything she doesnt like wont get wasted 😅

T

They are pretty vital

And I have a baby bunny that hates all leafy greens except broccoli and collard greens

I would go to the grocery store and plan to make a big salad for your dinner that night and buy a bunch of different leafy greens and herbs and give her a piece of each to see if she likes any of them

Cause if you plan to eat a big salad then anything she doesnt like wont get wasted 😅
We left he alone for about an hour and came back to find she ate about half of the lettuce we gave her.

Freya is a little over 4 months old. As a Mini Satin she will be a maximum of about 4.5lbs when fully grown. I don't know how much growing she has left, but she's very small. I don't know how much she weighs because I won't pick her up to weigh her and she hasn't seen the vet yet (soon enough). I'm guessing she's no more than 3-3.5lbs at most. How much leafy greens should she be eating per day?

I got a black berry bush specifically for my bunnies. For both the berries and the leaves. BOY do they love the leaves.

Wow! Good to know! Where I'm at, blackberries are our weed of choice, and me being "weird nature guy" lets them grow (within reason). I've offered them blackberries in the past, and they did not want, but I need to try the leaves!

Freya is a little over 4 months old. As a Mini Satin she will be a maximum of about 4.5lbs when fully grown. I don't know how much growing she has left, but she's very small. I don't know how much she weighs because I won't pick her up to weigh her and she hasn't seen the vet yet (soon enough). I'm guessing she's no more than 3-3.5lbs at most. How much leafy greens should she be eating per day?
Since you're just starting her on them now, continue with romaine for the rest of the week I'd say and then start a new veg next week, maybe something like cilantro or mint? Once she's accustomed to more veggies, you'll want to feed her 1-2 cups of veggies per 2lb of body weight daily, which is the general rule of thumb. :) If you ever introduce a new veggie later on you'll have to phase that in like you're doing now :)
Maybe can you see if you can put the scale on the ground and put a piece of food on it? And while she's eating you can see if you can get her weight.

That looks great. You will thank yourself later for getting rid of the cardboard. Honestly, rabbit urine is the worst and the cardboard would have absorbed a lot of that. (Just speaking from experience!). You will understand after a few times cleaning the liter box. ;) The meatloaf pan is great idea, as it is too small for her to jump in and soil the hay. She also won't be able to chew on it either. She will be scattering lots of poops around for a while, she is marking her territory. It will pass with time.
Good Job! 👏👍
I hope you and your family are enjoying your new friend and getting to know her. Hopefully she has not sprayed you (or anything else again). Hope you are enjoying the site...JBun (and many others) are so helpful and are super wonderful with information. 😁

That looks great. You will thank yourself later for getting rid of the cardboard. Honestly, rabbit urine is the worst and the cardboard would have absorbed a lot of that. (Just speaking from experience!). You will understand after a few times cleaning the liter box. ;) The meatloaf pan is great idea, as it is too small for her to jump in and soil the hay. She also won't be able to chew on it either. She will be scattering lots of poops around for a while, she is marking her territory. It will pass with time.
Good Job! 👏👍
I hope you and your family are enjoying your new friend and getting to know her. Hopefully she has not sprayed you (or anything else again). Hope you are enjoying the site...JBun (and many others) are so helpful and are super wonderful with information. 😁
Not so fast lol. She's so small that she actually did sit in the meatloaf pan and pooped all over in it. I was a little shocked to find her snuggled in it this morning. 🤦‍♂️🤣 I ordered this to try and it will arrive tomorrow:

https://www.amazon.com/Hamiledyi-Ra...&qid=1628267784&sprefix=rabbit+hay+man&sr=8-5
I figured I can put it low enough for her to eat comfortably but high enough to discourage her from getting into it and soiling the hay.

She sprayed on my fiance yesterday after flopping on her side and getting pets and belly rubs from her for several minutes. Of course when it happened my fiance moved quickly and Freya took off doing binkies like she did to me.

I freaking love her.

Also, I gave Freya 1/2 cup of Romain lettuce and a tablespoon of pellets for breakfast and she ate it all up right away. Another 1/2 cup and another tablespoon this evening will put her at a cup of leafy greens and 1/8 of a cup of pellets for the day.

But I am going to give her an extra tablespoon of pellets for lunch because she's a growing girl.

Latest posts

Back