First Standard Rex Litter...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley411

Reaction score
So my first litter of standard rex bunnies were born on the 17th. There were 8 in all. Mother is my rabbit Honey a tri color and father is a breeder friends named Patch he is also tri color. In the litter I got 6 tri's (two being charlies) and 2 black/orange harlequins. I lost one of the charlies yesterday, it got out of the box and it was below freezing last night. Sad.

Anyways I am concerned that they are thin. I'm used to seeing dutch, hollands, and lionheads. Their babies were always soo rolly polly. This litter is not, no big bellies on these guys. But 8 is a big litter for a first time mom I guess. So is it normal for rex kits to be thinner than the breeds I mentioned?

I will post pics asap.

~Hayley

As new borns, no exactly. No matter what breed,thekits should be very plump and active (well as active as new born can be, lol). I would just keep a close eye on them and on the mother for the next few days. If they become skinnier and less active, and/or worse, you start loosing some, then it may be time to interfere. But that's another topic entrirely and only a worse case scenario. Also, if temps are close to freezing, I would suggest maybe placing a heat lamp on top of the cage, so the nest is getting a little extra warmth.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back