First Show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DharmaBuns

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'll be heading to my first rabbit show on September 17th, and I am truly excited. I've put a few years of research and planning into this, so it's not something that I'm going in to on a whim. Unfortunately, I was never able to show through 4-h, so I'm going at the age of 25 trying to learn everything I possibly can.

I just recently got my first trio of rabbits. I decided on Tans, and after getting my 3 I am certain that it was the perfect choice for me, they are so gorgeous!

What sort of advice would you give to someone who is showing for the first time? I plan on taking my does/buck just as a "practice" run. They're all in very good condition (that my untrained eye can tell) and the buck has 3 legs, and one of my does has 1 leg already. I really have no delusions of winning BIS, or even placing higher than last place, this is 100% a learning experience. However, I'd like to treat it as though it were a real show, and I just really don't want to do anything wrong, or make any BIG mistakes!

Fill out the entry form correctly and get it in on time. Arrive early. Some shows are day of entry, so you want to have enough time to do the entries and get set up before judging starts. Many shows do set up the night before, so see if that is an option for you especially if you have to travel to the show. Once you are entered and set up, check the judging schedule so you know when Tans are being judged, it could be first, last or on the middle. If there is more than one show going on at the same time, check each one as they will each have different times for each breed.
Have your rabbits groomed and ready before you leave for the show. Trim nails, clean scent glands and brush them. If they have any urine stains or other stains, take care of those before you go.
Pay attention to what is going on during the show. This is good so you don't miss you class and so you can get a good idea of what is happening. When you go to set up, try to get a spot near the judging tables if you can. Some show have the rabbits in coops, so you don't really get a choice. Bring everything you need for your rabbits. This includes food, hay, water, dishes, bedding, grooming items, and whatever else you need. It is also good to take a light cloth to cover the carrier, some breeders also make signs to tell people to not poke into the carrier. Locks for the carriers are good too especially if you are leaving them overnight. Some shows don't provide tables, so you may want to take a small one to keep your rabbits off the floor.
Take stuff for you too. Food, drinks, a chair, something to do are all good. A blanket or jacket is good as some places are cooler especially if outside or in a large building or in the winter.

Basically, you want to make sure they are entered correctly, you arrive early, are ready to go and get your rabbit in the right class as the right time. Take them back when it is time and collect any awards if you get them. If one wins Best of Breed, they will go up for Best in Show as the end, so be prepared for that. When your rabbit are up on the table, don't let the judge know which are yours, it is supposed to be about the rabbit not who owns or bred them. If you are the only one with tans, there is not much you can do, but don't go pointing to one and say that is yours.
Try to find someone who is not too busy who you can ask questions to. This can be helpful for you. Some breeders are busier than others.

Don't get too stressed about the whole thing. It is just a rabbit show and win or loose it should be fun. Some people take it far too seriously and cause a big stink over nothing which can ruin the show for just about everyone.

Good Luck too :biggrin:

THANK YOU for your great advice. Wow!

My husband made a nice grooming table for me, so I'm really pleased with that. I've got a list of all the things I need to pack already made out. Can you tell that I'm excited?

It is a double show, so I will have to figure out the times of both. Tans aren't sanctioned at this show, but after talking with the breeder that I got my current buns from, we may have enough for the 5 rabbits 3 breeder rule. That means if (yeah right!) I win something, I'll still get a leg?

Also, remark cards. I see that they are listed on many "to bring" lists. Is this really something that I'm supposed to bring with me or is it something that is provided for me at the show? If I need to bring them, where do I go about getting them?

So many questions! I plan on just being a sponge and soaking up as much information as I can. While I definitely want my buns to win, you're right. It's supposed to be fun :)

The 5 rabbits be 3 exhibitors means you can get a leg. It does go by class, then breed. So if the rabbits are in different classes (by colour, age and sex), then you would need 5 by 3 for each. If there are just 5 rabbits by 3 exhibitors for the whole breed, then only the rabbit that wins Best of Breed would get a leg. A rabbit needs 3 legs to be able to become a grand champion. You do only get 1 leg per show, so if you got Best of Breed and Best in Show, you would only get the Best in Show leg for the records.

Usually with a double show, they are running at the same time. So show A and Show B (or whatever they call them) would both run at once. The breeds would be arranged differently so that one breed would not be up at both tables at the same time. One good thing about double (or even triple) shows, is that you get the opinion of 2 different judged. This does mean that the rabbit who gets Best Of Breed under one judge could be placed last by the other one.

I really have no idea about remark cards. The shows around here seem to not use them. You may want to contact the show secretary about them. Some shows may provide them, others you have to and some just don't use them. It seems that you can buy them from the ARBA site. You might be able to buy a few off another breeder since you won't have time to order them. I would just ask the secretary about it and see what can be done.

Once again, thank you for the information. It's been ever so helpful!

I'll have to look into the remark cards. I'm really hoping that it's something I won't need for this first show, but I would have to assume that someone would let me buy some from them, or even borrow a few and then replace them with once I've bought at the next show.

It's going to be a bit nerve-wracking, but I'm prepared. I've been grooming my buns, and letting them run along a long table I have to get them prepared for the show. Fingers are crossed that the bunny gods shine down upon me!

90% of the shows I've been to have remark cards along with the entry forms, so until you get your own supply, there's no need to worry. :)

Just have fun, our first show was crazy and stressful since we didn't know where to go or what to do, but most people at the show (other breeders or judges/scribes) are more than helpful. All you have to do is say "Hey I'm new and have no clue what to do or where to go!" That's what we did and we had plenty of people showing us around and helping us out. :)

Good Luck!

CoolWaterRabbitry wrote:
90% of the shows I've been to have remark cards along with the entry forms, so until you get your own supply, there's no need to worry. :)

Just have fun, our first show was crazy and stressful since we didn't know where to go or what to do, but most people at the show (other breeders or judges/scribes) are more than helpful. All you have to do is say "Hey I'm new and have no clue what to do or where to go!" That's what we did and we had plenty of people showing us around and helping us out. :)

Good Luck!
Whew! I've heard from a lot of people that the "rabbit crowd" are a friendly bunch. I actually emailed the show secretary previously asking her a few questions (I didnt know if I could bring my Tans if they were the only ones being shown) so they do know that a 'newbie' is coming :)

My main concern is going to be trying not to miss our judging. I plan on trying to find a space to set up near our table, or else find the other Tan breeders that I think are coming.

It's funny, I'm actually having dreams now about the shows. Last night, I dreamed that there was a flying competition. The bunnies would zoom around the building doing backflips in the air and such. It was pretty exciting :p

I used to enjoy showing rabbits, But now its kinda not into so much because some people can be so rude and mean, So I try to go to shows not that much. Just have one more show Oct 1st, And I done until spring... But showing can be fun, I get so nervous. But I like how it feels when somebody/judge likes your rabbit. I havent got an leg yet, But Im working on it to better the rabbits.. I just started showing last year. I just take rabbits just get the judges opinion, Its nice to know what you need to work/look after.

mistyjr wrote:
I used to enjoy showing rabbits, But now its kinda not into so much because some people can be so rude and mean, So I try to go to shows not that much. Just have one more show Oct 1st, And I done until spring... But showing can be fun, I get so nervous. But I like how it feels when somebody/judge likes your rabbit. I havent got an leg yet, But Im working on it to better the rabbits.. I just started showing last year. I just take rabbits just get the judges opinion, Its nice to know what you need to work/look after.
That's actually exactly what I'm going for. I really don't plan on judging my rabbits personally against everyone else's. I know that they're not going to be as good as people who have been doing this for years and years. I really am only interested in seeing what the judge's comments are on my specific rabbits.

I would like to get some more information on what people do for conditioning though. Also, how much to feed, etc. I actually really enjoy that.

Right now my buns are each day getting a bit of calf manna and a few unshelled black sunflower seeds. We're heading out tonight to get some rolled oats, so I'll be able to feed a bit of those too. They also get purina show food at night, and some hay during the day. I think I've got the basics down...just the AMOUNTS are what I'm really wondering about.

Good luck on your last show. You should head up to Gaylord this coming weekend! I'll be there hehe :p

everyone else has already given good advice, so no need to repeat. but more the most part, people are so much more friendly. I had a guy, I had two breeds at one show, he knew which rabbits were mine, and (thankfully) I didn't have multiple in color(IT was dutch, a tort, a blue, a gray and a steel) and he was able to put them on the table and fill out my remark cards while i was ont he other side of the room with my holland lops. That was insanely crazy and something that will never be repeated by me, i don't show Hollands anymore, just dutch.

Have you gone to any shows in your area just to observe? I did and boy was I glad I did, it helped me to know what was going on. They had someone yelling the breeds and which judge, if you don't know the judges and the tables are not labeled it is annoying.
After a few shows I figured out the judges and showing, then I actually showed and it was a good experience.

CCWelch wrote:
Have you gone to any shows in your area just to observe? I did and boy was I glad I did, it helped me to know what was going on. They had someone yelling the breeds and which judge, if you don't know the judges and the tables are not labeled it is annoying.
After a few shows I figured out the judges and showing, then I actually showed and it was a good experience.
Yes, I've actually been to a couple shows, but I really wasn't paying as close attention to the order things were going, and since I wasn't exactly sure what breed I was going to do at the time, I wasn't really listening for a particular breed being called out. Fortunately my husband will be with me, so hopefully if I miss someone saying Tans...my husband will hear it :p

Hopefully there are names of each judge! I would obviously have no clue as to which judge was which!

Everyone gave some really really _great_advice. I've got nothing to add to it.

You will be all set for your first show, DharmaBuns! Good luck!

If you ever decide to breed the Trio... can I buy a male tan baby? :D

Sorry, I had to ask. I have a tan female but she's got no boyfriend. She came from Texas and her name is Harmony.

Trying to find a tan in this state who is SQ...has proven to be impossible so far but I haven't given up hope.

She recently had a baby who turned out to be a (black) Tan but I don't think I will be able to show this little baby girl though because her daddy is a mini rex. SO she probably doesn't have the right conformation.. that's my guess. I could be wrong.

I'd have to take her to a judge and have her evaluated, when she's a little older, to know for sure.

It's so hard to find this breed, isnt it?!? I only know of two other breeders of Tans in Michigan, and I was very fortunate that the one I got my buns from had these guys available at the time.

It's a long way off, but perhaps if you did want one of my babies, a bunny train could be established. I have a feeling, with the buck and does that I have, that I'm going to have some gorgeous babies. There's quite a high chance that I will get a few chocolates too, so I'm very excited about that as well :)

DharmaBuns wrote:
mistyjr wrote:
That's actually exactly what I'm going for. I really don't plan on judging my rabbits personally against everyone else's. I know that they're not going to be as good as people who have been doing this for years and years. I really am only interested in seeing what the judge's comments are on my specific rabbits.

I would like to get some more information on what people do for conditioning though. Also, how much to feed, etc. I actually really enjoy that.

Right now my buns are each day getting a bit of calf manna and a few unshelled black sunflower seeds. We're heading out tonight to get some rolled oats, so I'll be able to feed a bit of those too. They also get purina show food at night, and some hay during the day. I think I've got the basics down...just the AMOUNTS are what I'm really wondering about.

Good luck on your last show. You should head up to Gaylord this coming weekend! I'll be there hehe :p
Thanks, And good luck to you too! Gaylord is far ways from me! :( But hope the best for you! :)

And I raise Lions and Mini Rex's, And I feed mine pellets daily about 1/2-1 cup daily but just depends on the rabbit, And they get hay every other day except young jr's get hay daily, And I also just oats sometimes and also sun flower seeds when I have them!

Best of Luck! :big wink:

Gosh, I always feel like I'm giving them too much when I give them even close to a half cup of pellets, even before I had the calf-manna/seeds in the morning. I'd always come back to visit them in the morning and there would still be some pellets there!

Yes, Gaylord very far north for most people in Michigan. With gas prices being so high the show secretary told me that they were expecting a much smaller crowd this year. Oh well, I'm still very excited and thanks for your good luck wishes, I may need them :D

You will know if your giving to much or too less, Check their condition, And it will tell you if you need to add more or less!

My lions get 1/2 cup daily, And my Mini Rex's get 3/4 cup daily, They needed just a little more then my lions, Their hip bones would stick out more with the 1/2 cup, Just a little more food helped! And now I got them under control! But you will know when your feeling your buns everyday! You are doing fine, :)
I dont go to shows that are to far away maybe an 30-45 min drive that all my hubby will do. And now its different story!

I have one more word of advice, once the show is over and you are home, make sure you let us al know how you did!!!!
Good Luck!

Yay we have another Tan breeder on here! I will help you out with your specific breed :)

Before the show:
At my house I built a running table of my own. It is long wooden planks with carpet stapled on top. I use seesaws from homedepot to hold up the running boards. I believe it is 7-8 ft in length and maybe 1-2 feet wide. A couple of days before the show I will make sure they know how to run across the table and sit up to look pretty. Basically i put them on it and stand back. I have some videos on youtube of my babies. I can link them on here.
This is one showing how we gently urge the babies to run. Mom is the first tan and baby is the second.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/jd9wk5ShKjY&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

We used to give our tans calf manna but didnt ever really see a difference in their coats so we stopped using it. We dont measure their food but just put some in the bowls every night and let them free feed. Except one of my does. She is kind of chunky lol.

During the Show:
In the morning before the show gets started and after we pay our entry fees and fill out our cards I take each tan out and let them run. I only give them a taste of the running because i don't want them to tire out before the judge even sees them. Tans are very different and many people dont know the specifics of the breed. Like when putting them up on the tables they must go Lilac, Blue, Chocolate, and Black is the last to go up. If the show secretary starts putting them up wrong I usually just tell them or the judge will. Also tans are not to be posed. They are to freely roam the table as they please. My tans like to use as much of the table as possible so they sometimes jump over the barriers the judges put up to avoid them from getting into another judges way lol. No harm done but its quite funny. I dont normally groom my tans usually because i show juniors and most of their coats are good enough as is. I usually have to clean my older bucks and i just pick out most of the small mat things by the tail and brush their bums.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated Oh and might I ask who you got your tans from?!

Oh good, someone else that breeds Tans! You know, I think I actually have seen that video up on youtube! I've been looking things up about Tans, and I swear I've watched yours :)

I've been letting my guys run along the long table that I have next to their cages. It's probably only about...6 feet long, but I try to block of so on the first foot or so of table is able to be on, and let them run around. I'll definitely take your advice and build them a REAL running table though. Will they begin to run around naturally, or should I entice them to run around by placing bits of food in different places each time? However, I'm concerned that that would make them just sniff the ground the whole time, hehe. They are such gluttons!

Right now, my buck is almost exactly a year old, and my does have literally JUST turned 6 months, so they'll all be in the senior category.

I'm trying to figure out if one of my does is chunky, or skinny or...WHAT! It looks like her hips bones protrude out a bit...yet when you actually squeeze her back there, it feels a bit...how do i put this gently...squishy. I think I'll just need to go to the show and ask if anyone else will feel my rabbits, or if anyone else has Tans, I'll ask if I can feel the correct form.

I got my rabbits from JEM rabbitry :)

Latest posts

Back