First Show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CCWelch wrote:
Sadly sometimes it is who the judge knows and who he doesn't know.
I can give you 2 cases both at the same show with 2 different judges, one was with my rabbit.
2 French lop intermediates on the table 1 mine and 1 belonging to a girl that shows at every show. The judge did not even actually take my rabbit out of the box and look at it and gave her first.
2nd incident same day, New Zealands on the table (not mine) 2 top breeders in the area and someone wearing a shirt saying they had been "trained" by the judge in question. The judge only talked to the ones wearing "his" shirts and didn't even look at the other rabbits. I have noticed he hasn't been asked to judge anything locally lately and i know grievances were filed. He even gave another french lop to the girl that competed against me that day. He and the other judge were heard discussing the matter later and he asked if "his rabbit" had been given the first.
I can't even believe that, and frankly I am appalled! Everything I've read, and even the breeder that I've talked to, specifically state "Don't let the judge know which rabbit is yours." To walk up to a judging table with a "trained by ____" shirt on is terrible! That's a conflict of interest if I've ever heard one. I'm glad to hear that he doesn't do things locally anymore.

I am just a little concerned, because when I look at nationally competing Tans....they look like Guardian. That's why I'm so surprised that Ringer won. Guardian seems to have that beautiful delicate body type, and I always thought Ringer was well....fat. It's possible that there were other factors involved, but both judges mentioned that she was too delicate. At the next show, I think I'm going to track a judge down and ask them to look over my rabbits when he/she gets some spare time.

Sometimes a rabbit can be more 'on' or 'off' on a day which could affect how they place. At a show a week or 2 later, the placings of your rabbits can be totally different. There are many factors in how a rabbit does from the stress of travelling to the feed and jot how they are feeling on the day.
Each judge can intemperate the standard a bit differently. This can lead to some differences in the placings. A judge who raises Holland Lops can look at a Tan differently than a judge who raises Tans or one who raises Flemish Giants. There are some judges who don't see Tans on a regular basis, so might not be as familiar with the standard and one who sees them at pretty much every show.
You can try looking up judges before you enter to see if it might be worth it to enter. Since most shows do advertise their judges in advance (check the show catalogue), you can find out more on them before you enter. If you find that neither one is really that great with Tans, then you might decide not the enter. You can also take it as a learning experience to help educate the judge on Tans if you are comfortable with that. You may find that the judges are really good with Tans, and that could sway you to travel a bit further to get their opinion.

Unfortunately, people will be people and some will want to do whatever they can to win. If you do see a something, bring it up with the show secretary and see if there is anything that can be done. It is against ARBA rules to point out or otherwise indicate which rabbit is yours. While this can be hard if you are the only one with tans, you should still try to avoid saying anything that could sway the judge, such as Rabbit A has 3 legs or Rabbit B is from so-and-so breeder.
If you do want the judge to evaluate your rabbits outside the official show, try to wait until after Tans have been judged. This can mean waiting until the end of the day if needed, but does help keep the judge impartial for the show. I think that when a breeder does bring a rabbit to just get an opinion, they don't enter it in the show.

I cant believe that either about the judges. Can't you say something to the arba about that. That should be taken care of and every rabbit needs to be judged and given a fair chance. I would have said something to the secretary or the show supervisor thats horrible.

As far as looking for someone who knows what they are talking about. I get my information from people who have been showing or have showed my breed. I can tell you the judges i know about but we are a long way from MI. Travis Finkle, Randy Shumaker, Mikey Franke, Cheryl Blackman, Wade Burkhalter, Eric Stewart. I love Kelly Flynns description about judging a tan. Heres a link, some great information too

http://www.blueribbonrabbitry.com/aboutourtans.htm

woahlookitsme wrote:
I cant believe that either about the judges. Can't you say something to the arba about that. That should be taken care of and every rabbit needs to be judged and given a fair chance. I would have said something to the secretary or the show supervisor thats horrible.

As far as looking for someone who knows what they are talking about. I get my information from people who have been showing or have showed my breed. I can tell you the judges i know about but we are a long way from MI. Travis Finkle, Randy Shumaker, Mikey Franke, Cheryl Blackman, Wade Burkhalter, Eric Stewart. I love Kelly Flynns description about judging a tan. Heres a link, some great information too

http://www.blueribbonrabbitry.com/aboutourtans.htm
I actually have been talking with Kelly (via facebook) and I plan on getting her opinion on my tans as well. Obviously, I can only send her photos at this point, but I am definitely going to be heading down to the Tan Nationals in April. I will bring my buns then, and get a much better idea on what the breed is all about.

Thanks for the information, everyone. I'm glad that there are those out there that stand up for the rules, and don't view letting supervisors know of rule-breaking as "tattling". The sad truth is that there are those out there that take this beyond a fun hobby, and will do anything to win. It's very unfortunate.

I hope I learn a few judges in my area that are good with Tans. Do judges usually stay in their state, or do they travel around the country doing shows?

I added you on "facebook" if you dont mind!

But yes, judges travel were ever they need them at for the show, And you always get more then one opinion on the judges, Every judge is different and judges, I had some real mean rude judges and I had some sweet judges,

mistyjr wrote:
I added you on "facebook" if you dont mind!

But yes, judges travel were ever they need them at for the show, And you always get more then one opinion on the judges, Every judge is different and judges, I had some real mean rude judges and I had some sweet judges,

Of course not! I've accepted your request! I love having other rabbit lovers on my friends list :) It's funny, because after the most recent show, I've added at least 5 people I met there to my friends list.

So I suppose if I go to the next show on Oct 8th and get last place...I shouldn't be too discouraged? hehe.

Thanks,

Yeah, that's what people have told me, You need to get more then one judge opinion on them, So yeah!
Example, I raise lionheads and I had an buck that did good on the table and the next show he did poorly, And I was going to sell him and they said hold it off and show him again, And they told me to get other people judges because they are all different,

Judges to travel a fair bit. Around here, there is 1 guy who is working on becoming a judge. All the judges for shows are flown in from all over the states, usually 2-3 per show.

You sort of need to average out your shows. If a rabbit does well in most then it is probably a pretty good rabbit. If it is at the bottom for pretty much every show, then not the best. Now a rabbit could place poorly due to something that is not genetic, so could make a good breeding rabbit, like missing a toe nail due to an injury.

And oh when they are molting too, That's hard on them for judging, I have a show next weekend and half my mini's are molting badly, ugh! hurry up fur.... LOL :)

Yea, I had a judge who looked at rebel's ear tattoo ( his name) and laughed, saying loudly, " Oh i like this rabbit hahaha" then he quieted down once he started inspecting him.

I felt a bit uncomfortable and kinda hung back in the crowd, not saying anything.

I don't think he was playing favorites though because he went back and forth with rebel and a black mini rex for quite some time before finally making his decision.

I mean.. by the looks of it.. he was really studying BOTH rabbits hard. ( the black mini rex was NOT mine)

I'm sorry for your judges naughty behavior :( they are human... but it sucks when you are on the unfair receiving end of things.

OH hey interesting fact I just now noticed......

Apparently.. my friends blue tan didn't have the one black tan baby girl.

She had 2 broken tan (one black, one blue) does and the solid black tan doe AND a broken black tan buck.

I only thought she had the 1 doe... I was so wrong. She brought out her babies to show me and I was surprised.

Go blade!!! my buck did a great job on her doe.

Now we want to see if... breeding her to a different buck ( same color as my buck) will still produce tan babies. Would be great to get different bloodlines in the mix.

Phoenix wrote:
OH hey interesting fact I just now noticed......

Apparently.. my friends blue tan didn't have the one black tan baby girl.

She had 2 broken tan (one black, one blue) does and the solid black tan doe AND a broken black tan buck.

I only thought she had the 1 doe... I was so wrong. She brought out her babies to show me and I was surprised.

Go blade!!! my buck did a great job on her doe.

Now we want to see if... breeding her to a different buck ( same color as my buck) will still produce tan babies. Would be great to get different bloodlines in the mix.
Good luck!!!

Do you have pictures of these mixed breeds. I always wondered what tans would look like if they came out of a tan and another breed

majorv wrote:
Do you have pictures of these mixed breeds. I always wondered what tans would look like if they came out of a tan and another breed

Oops! I meant to ask the same thing in my last post. Seconding this!

I've seen some pictures of Belgian Hare/Tan mixes that are absolutely gorgeous! :)

I DO realize that they aren't "tan rabbits".. they are only half tan.

The goal is to get the Tan rabbit coloring.. with a rex coat and a tan's body type.... or should we get a mini rex body type? hmmmm choices choices.

I did post pictures of the black tan (mixed breed technically) female on this thread I think but I don't have any of the brokens.

Latest posts

Back