First injury but OKAY now

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lucy had her first bunny injury. She somehow got her foot stuck in her crate in the smallest section. She wiggled out herself but the sound was terrible. No one could have prepared me for the sound of a hurt rabbit! 5 minutes after the injury (2 days ago) she was acting normal. That sure gave me a scare! I do not have a bunny first aid kit yet but I need to put it together.

Nicole

Glad she's doing better. What part did she get stuck? (photo?) Have you been able to block it off? She is a large breed rabbit and weighs 12lbs. We have the 2nd largest crate. I believe she just got stuck by chance. I was in the next room and she had gotten out of her "pickle" and was away from the cage.

Attachments

• 20200718_210847.jpg
    20200718_210847.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200718_210742.jpg
    20200718_210742.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 4
Poor thing! I wonder how she managed to get herself stuck. I'm sure the screaming you heard was the panic they get when they are trapped. (think caught by a predator). Good thing she didn't break a leg or worse!
I am terrified of using metal playpens. Seen so many posts of bunnies getting head or limbs stuck. It's easily done, bunny lies down near the fence and foot slips through sometimes with disastrous consequences. Perspex or strong mesh with very tiny holes is the way to go I think.

I am terrified of using metal playpens. Seen so many posts of bunnies getting head or limbs stuck. It's easily done, bunny lies down near the fence and foot slips through sometimes with disastrous consequences. Perspex or strong mesh with very tiny holes is the way to go I think.
Would it be DIY using those materials? I wouldn't mind having something else but I am not sure what. In my ideal world I would have a outdoor run for her that was hooked up to the house into her area of the home where she would have lots of room. We are working on decluttering and fixing the house up to sell for end of 2021 or spring 2022 at the latest. I need something that I can take down and/or move fairly easily.

Nicole

Would it be DIY using those materials? I wouldn't mind having something else but I am not sure what. In my ideal world I would have a outdoor run for her that was hooked up to the house into her area of the home where she would have lots of room. We are working on decluttering and fixing the house up to sell for end of 2021 or spring 2022 at the latest. I need something that I can take down and/or move fairly easily.

Nicole
You could attach Perspex or welded mesh to metal playpens, may only need to do the bottom part. Even cardboard will do if your bunny doesn't eat cardboard.

Latest posts

Back