First day litter issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseBun1

Reaction score
We have had our bonded pair for around a week now, and they are settled in nicely. However, after I clean the litter box they literally poop and pee EVERYWHERE for 6ish hours. I spend this time cleaning up everything and putting it in the litter box basically whenever I walk past their area, which is fine when I'm home but that won't always be the case.

After this little stretch, they have very few accidents, poop or pee, until I clean the box again. I've been cleaning the box every 3-4 days. It's a 16 x 23 Rubbermaid with a pee pad on the bottom, pine pellet bedding, and hay. This is the same setup as they had in the foster. They even gave us the left over bedding, so it is exactly the same.

I guess I'm wondering if this is normal and going to happen whenever I clean it. It's super frustrating because they do so well the rest of the time. Should I be doing something different?

You could try putting a little of the soiled bedding into the cleaned box so that it smells at least a little like toilet, rabbits have good noses, wouldn't need much I guess.

When rabbits pee outside i wash the spot with vingar to eradicate that smell to stop them pee there - same principle, the other way round.

No idea if it actually works, but it might be worth a try.

Maybe next time just dump and scrap without rinsing and see if that makes a difference. You could also try preitler's suggestion of putting a little soiled litter in with the fresh. I think once they have been settled in for longer, you are less likely to have this issue. It happens more when everything is new(new rabbits, new territory).

Latest posts

Back