First-claw-trimming advice?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingstar

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on how to trim a fidgety rabbit's claws? There aren't any rabbit-experienced veterinarians in my area, and even though I have a pair of small animal clippers, I'm not sure if I could safely trim Astro's claws on my own. He's not used to me picking me up, and he's only now started allowing me to pet him. I might be able to distract him with pellets, as I've done before when I needed to check him over. However, I'm not sure how he'd react to me going at him with a pair of clippers and trying to grab his feet. 😓

Is there anything I can do to make it easier for the both of us?

This is what works for me. I take them to a room they don't go in so they're not as confident. I hold them and my husband clips. I have treats ready for when each foot is done as a reward. I have tried to wrap them up like in a bunny burrito but I haven't had more success with that than just regular holding. Your bun might be different though. I don't think I could ever ever do it by myself. It's a rodeo.
Keep looking for a rabbit savvy vet because it's likely the day will come that you will need one and it's good to have someone lined up. Good luck!

I have had tons of luck with the "bunny-rito". You wrap them up in a towel and lay them on your lap tummy up. My buns hate it at first but eventually they calm down and I am able to do a full mani/pedi(trim/file nails, clean hocks and under nails) for them while they sleep in my lap ;) This is especially helpful when you have to do it alone. The first time I did it my dad held Clover and got so scratched up he didn't want to do it again xD So I'm solo when it comes to the buns. I also agree with stevesmom that you should try to find the closest vet just to have in case of emergency. Sometimes a few dog/cat or a farm animal vet would know about rabbit care, it doesn't hurt to ask around! Good luck <3

My bun is a real fidgeter too when it comes time to trim his nails, but I found this technique on youtube that works surprisingly well. It uses their own comfort and feelings to know where you should cut and it goes really quick. This way you can also do it yourself without having to rely on putting them into tonic mobility =D [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9KemnaTGIs[/ame]

Thank you, everyone, for your advice! &#128522; There are two animal clinics in my area that have worked with rabbits, at least, but they only have a little bit of experience with them, and I'm such a nervous Nellie. &#128534;

Latest posts

Back