First Aid Kit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaGal

Reaction score
So I'm putting together an emergency kit for Thumper. I have canned pumpkin as well as baby gas drops.

I was planning on picking up some probiotics. I believe Benebac is one that I have read of on here. I looked it up at Pet Smart which is where I will have to go to buy some.

The only Benebac that came up was for Birds and reptiles. I then searched probiotics and everything that came up was for dogs or puppies.

Can someone help me out so I know exactly what I should get. Do I need to search under small animals? Is it all the same and it's just the dosage that is different? What would the dosage be?

Thank You in advance.

I've used both the powder:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V8P2SO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
and the gel
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSI4FY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I usually sprinkle the powder on their greens.

I'd add in some critical care to your first aid kit and some sort of rabbit-safe pain medication (something like Metcam from your vet or a human NSAID thats safe for bunnies like baby asprin)

Also syringes for medication, food and water, and then I'd train your rabbits to use them. I occasionally give my buns some diluted juice or fruit baby food out of a syringe so they associate them with good things which makes it easier when it comes time to medicate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't find benebac you can go to the local feed store and pick up a tube of probios. They are essentially the same thing.

Pagal, try Petco. I found that the newer locations have Benebac gel in the single dose packages they also have it in the powder form. I got my 15gram syringe of Benebac from my exotics vet. The bird Benebac is definitely different, I wouldn't waste the money or risk some sort of adverse reaction. I also keep some Hydropet electrolytes made by the same company if I am noticing Zero isn't drinking enough. He is not a fan of pedialyte but readily drinks the Hydropet. Walgreen is a great source for dosing syringes go ask the pharmacy and they will give them to you. I wasted $ buying the crap syringes they sell in the pet stores.

Last edited:
For Probios, the equine or small mammal is a good choice. For BeneBac, dog/cat or small mammal is better than avian/reptile.

Thank you everyone! We don't have a PetCo near us which is a shame, I love torturing myself by looking at the ferrets. Plus they have some things that Pet Smart doesn't.

I found a link to Imbrium's web store and she sells most of the items for a first aid kit as well as selling a complete first aid kit. I was going to order some zip ties from her as we use those all of the time and are almost out. We like to support smaller businesses when we can so I will probably just go ahead and get the kit although I do have the simethicone, syringes and I know baby aspirin would be no problem to get. I have corn starch.

Latest posts

Back