Fiona's new lump

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyscove

Christina - Moderator
Reaction score
So I woke up this morning at, 12:45 am PST, spent all day flying, landed at 12:20 pm PST, had lunch with my mom and headed home.

First thing I do when I get home, as always, is check out the pets. My mom tries to do the nail trimming but isn't nearly as comfortable with it as I am, so I trimmed the rabbits' nails.
As I pulled Fiona out of her cage, my mom casually mentioned, "I found a lump on her the other day, see if you can find it." I immediately start to freak out at her for not telling me and found it myself. It's about the size of a marble and it's right under one of her nipples. I went ahead and trimmed her nails, then called my vet (where I worked over the summer and may be going back this summer) and she has a 5:00 appointment so we'll see what they say.

We've had Fiona for nearly 4 years now, but adopted her as an adult so we don't actually know how old she is.

I'm going with my dad and brother to London on Monday for one night, then to Germany until June 4th then, maybe, to Amsterdam (my dad was just invited to speak at a conference so we might tack that on). That's what really worries me because I'm not sure what the vet will want to do but I'm obviously more comfortable with medical things with the buns than my mom is so I feel bad leaving so soon and for such a long time.

I'll be sure to come back and update you guys after I take her in.

We took her in. Dr. Fullington saw her, felt it and said either a mammary tumor or an abscess. Then he aspirated it and decided it looked more like a tumor. She's going in on Thursday for surgery with Dr. Flanagan to have it removed. Then they'll cut it open and if they're not sure what it is we'll send it off to the lab.

I'm still a little nervous about leaving her with my mom and not me, but I completely trust my vets. :)

Oh no! Best of luck during the surgery and recovery thereafter. It sounds like you may have gotten it early.

Fiona is spayed. We adopted her in August of 2006 from an animal shelter. She was spayed there shortly before we adopted her - they took her sutures out so that we could take her home. We don't know how old she was when she was spayed though, as she was full grown when we adopted her.

That was one of Dr. Fullington's questions today as well.

I'm glad I've got all my coworkers there to keep an eye on her as well. I'm not sure what sort of internet access I'll have while I'm gone. Hopefully at least one of us will have email access so my mom can update me on how she's doing.

Hey guys, I'm about to leave Berlin, but I wanted to give you guys a quick update I got from my mom.
"Fiona's resting at home now in her modified cage (can't climb for 10 days, so I had to close off the lower level by carabinering a 12 x 12 wire square over
the opening to the lower level and lying a grass mat on top of it. I also moved her water bottle to the top level and put a wire basket of hay
in easy reach for her), wearing an Elizabethan collar so she can't chew her stitches & has 2 different kinds of meds for me to give her (pain & antibiotic) for a week. The biopsy results won't be back for several days, but at least the tumor has been removed ~ ♥
She ate greens for dinner and some hay. She's pooping! She pooped at the vet; they liked that she was already pooping after surgery! I'll give
her her pain meds before I go to bed tonight. She starts on the antibiotic 2x/day tomorrow. She gets the pain med once a day at nighttime.
"

That is really good . Sometimes it is not necessary to use an Elizabethan collar but a soft e collar can be made instead. it is just easier on the rabbit.

Iwill attempt to find the thread with the pic of the collar

I haven't heard anything about the biopsy yet, but just got to a hotel with internet again. (I get email on my phone, but the internet is a little too hard for me to navigate there.)

So far I have heard that she's healing up nicely and that she adapted really well to wearing the e-collar, except for the face washing part so my mom has been washing her face for her with a warm, damp cottonball.

I got an email from my mom today:

"Dr. Flanagan called. Fiona's tumor was malignant, meaning "cancer" :-(
Told him that she's doing really well post-operatively. He recommends
"watch & wait" now. If lump were to re-occur, we could go in and excise it again.
Could possibly go in now and take out more surrounding tissue from area, but
this might not be all that beneficial...and there's a risk with more anesthesia...
and the "cancer" may have already gone to her lungs....?
I'm to bring her in Tues or Weds to have the sutures out. He's there Weds;
Fullington on Tues. He said that if the cancer is spreading that she'd eventually
have trouble breathing. She is doing that sniffly/sneezy thing, but seems to
be able to breathe just fine. Poor Nona :-( She's such a sweet little girl"

:(

Angel did really well after hers, so I hope for the best for Fiona as well.:D Hugs, I know how hard this is. Not fun. Keep an eye on it, make sure it doesn't return as you can tell, that can be hard for an owner and not a doc too.:pray:

Latest posts

Back