Finding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnychild

Julia
Reaction score
Hiiiii i am looking for good rabbits to breed and show know of any good breeders in kansas? these r the breeds i would like and how many.

Rabbit Want List : 2 Mini Rex, 1 Mini Satin Doe, 1 Holland lop Doe, 2 Tans, 2 Giant Angora, 2 Flemish Giant, 2 Palomino , 2 Mini lop, 2 Harlequin, 2 Netherland Dwarf, 2 Polish, 2 Giant Chinchilla, 2 Crème D'Argent, 2 Hotot, 2 English lop, 2 Dutch, 2 Dwarf Hotot, 2 lionhead, 1 Himalayan, 2 Lilac

thx to those who reply and I know i rehomed 5 bunnies but i was 8 and my parents did it not me

Just curious, why so many? That is quite the variety of breeds and I have not seen a breeder who takes on more then 4 breeds at a time because they want to be responsible when doing so... Are you going to be mixing or something (The one Holland Doe and one Satin makes me wonder).

Most of those breeds come in a lot of colors, so you'll want to confer with the breeders to make sure they set you up with compatible colors (for instance, you wouldn't want to breed tricolor with a sable).

I'm curious about the single rabbit breeds, too...it's not very easy to find studs, or else stud out your rabbit unless you get a couple BIS.

Also, lionheads are currently not an accepted breed with the ARBA, so you won't be able to show them.

Hotots, Lilacs, Giant Chinchillas and D'Argents are both rather rare breeds, so it will be hard to find a breeder, and even harder to find one willing to sell you a pair without being sure you're committed to helping the breed.

Dutch, Harlequins and Hotots are also rather difficult to breed, producing a lot of mismarks in each litter.

What is that attracts you to each of those breeds? What do you know about their personalities and special requirements? For instance, Giant breeds don't do well on wire floors (wooden slats are much better), and racy breeds like tans need larger cages for their sizes because of their activity level (which usually also means that they are more prone to stressing themselves out, and you have to protect them from undue stress like strange or overexcited dogs).

Take a look at the list of breeders on ARBA, as well as the national breed clubs (and regional breed clubs). You might also want to check listings on places like aarabbits.com and rabbitbreeders.us although they won't necessarily have the quality of the ones listed on the club sites. Another option is to hit up the shows in your area (again, check the ARBA site), and talk with breeders there. If they don't have compatible stock available for you, they might be able to give you contacts who do, or help you prepare for some they'll have available later.

@ hillrise

on the single ones it's because i already hav one of those now they need girlfriends.i can show lionheads in my county fair. i hav a mentor helping me and i have some HUGE cages for the giants.

THx for the help everyone

Are you planning on breeding these all at one time?!
That's hardly an easy task! Breeding rabbits in the first place is a difficult thing to do if you want to do it right, and you can hardly expect to do well if you spread your resources over 20 different breeds. You'll need separate cages for each buck and doe, then two for each litter-one for females, one for males- and then some extra cages to separate out the babies as they mature more & start fighting, if you can't sell them in time.

When you take your rabbits to shows((which I hope you are, please don't breed rabbits that aren't worth anything)) watch who is winning, and ask around in the crowd during the show of a breed you're looking at about who to go to. The person you get the most recommendations for, or the person who places high often, is the one you want.

That is a pretty big list. May i ask how many cages and space do you have for these rabbits?
I would highly recommend starting with the three breeds you already have(holland, mini satin, and himi) and then if you want more breeds add one breed at a time. The breeders I know of are in Texas. If you visit this site ( http://arba.net/Breeds.htm ) you can click onto the pictures to go to that breeds specialty club and look up the breeder directory.

I have already done it for the breeds you have one of
Holland Lop
http://www.hlrsc.com/EmailandLinks/states/Kansas.html

Mini Satins (none in KS or OK)
http://www.asrba.org/breeders.php

Himalayans dont have a breeder listing.

Here is ARBAs breeder listing
http://arba.net/Breeders.php

So jealous, wish we had lionheads and holland lops in Australia! (though i have been told we have holland lops, but i haven't found anyone that breeds them or even has them as pets. Anyway, im getting OT... GL with your search. =)

@snap i know how to breed and how to do it right my parents got me 12 cages but we r getting more.

these just guide lines along what i may want. I found a place to get mini satins it is were Palo's old owner got him.

i think with 12 holes you should stick with your three and it sounds like you should be okay and will have to utilize line breeding if you only have a pair of each. Good luck to you

And remember you must consider litter sizes when deciding how many holes/breeds/rabbits you should have.
With himis at 4-6
hollands at 2-4
and mini satins 3-5

If you are new to breeding, then talk to other people that raise the same breed as you and find someone who can mentor you. You'll want someone you can call if problems come up (as they often do) and you need experienced advise. Here on the forum, we can only help so much without seeing your rabbits in person.

Will you be going to shows? They are a great place to learn more about breeding and breed traits, even if you don't have one to show at the moment.

That is way too many breeds, you will never be able to have enough time to give each and every rabbit attention. Also with 12 cages you will only have enough room for maybe 2 or 3 breeding pairs if you want to keep babies.
My recommendation is pick 1 or 2 breeds and focus on those and then maybe down the line add 1 more if you find you can handle 2.
Can I ask how old you are? I can understand it being exciting to have lots of bunnies and babies but that many bunnies means more money and time than most people have. (If you are doing it responsibly)

i looked at my list and decided these r the breeds i lik: 1 Mini Satin Doe, 1 Holland lop Doe, 2 Tans, 2 Giant Angora, 2 Flemish Giant, 2 Mini lop, 2 Harlequin, 2 Siamese sable Netherland Dwarf, 2 Dutch, 2 Dwarf Hotot, 2 lionhead, 1 Himalayan.i will be gettin more cages. i am 14 i have breed before. i will try to add more detail to surtin varities on the breeds as soon as i find my Standard of Perfection. it will be much shorter afterstate fair

here is the edited list, 1 Mini Satin Doe, 1 Holland lop Doe, 2 chocolate Tans, 2 Giant Angora, 2 sandy Flemish Giant, 2 Mini lop, 2 Harlequin, 2 Siamese sable Netherland Dwarf, 2 Dutch, 2 Dwarf Hotot, 2 orange lionhead, 1 lilac Himalayan

it took me all day but this is the breeds and what color i want in that breed: 1 white Mini Satin Doe, 1 Holland lop Doe, 2 chocolate Tans, 2 white Giant Angora, 2 sandy Flemish Giant, 2 chocolate chestnut Mini lop, 2 lilac Harlequin, 2 Siamese sable Netherland Dwarf, 2 yellow Dutch, 2 chocolate Dwarf Hotot, 2 orange lionhead, 1 lilac Himalayan

i reduced down to 8 breeds 1 white Mini Satin Doe, 1 Holland lop Doe, 2 white Giant Angora, 2 sandy Flemish Giant, 2 Siamese sable Netherland Dwarf, 2 yellow Dutch, 1 lilac Himalayan. i fell in love with the Astrex i would buy it from almost any where

Latest posts

Back