Finding cecotropes in litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengisudeveci

Reaction score
I have found cecotropes in the litter box. would plastic grate over the litter box prevent my bunny from eating cecotropes ? The reason why i put the grate is that my bunny likes to sleep in it and dig. So pee would get all over him. Should i remove the grate ?

Attachments

• 56502955-0376-44B2-A2F1-38FE3E4927A5.jpeg
    56502955-0376-44B2-A2F1-38FE3E4927A5.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 9
It isn't very clear in the picture if there are any ceco's at all. It is hard to see through the grate and misc. hay you have there. They look sort of like normal droppings to me but they look offly small. Can you temporarily move the grid away to get a clearer picture?

It isn't very clear in the picture if there are any ceco's at all. It is hard to see through the grate and misc. hay you have there. They look sort of like normal droppings to me but they look offly small. Can you temporarily move the grid away to get a clearer picture?
There arent any cecotropes in the photo. I took it and put it on the ground thinking maybe my bunny will eat it. And he ate it. I shared the picture to show the plastic grade.

Oh well, i see. If that is the case, i'd reccommend removing the grid and inspecting of any other ceco's are left on the litter floor.
You also mentioned he likes to dig in his litter. What sort of litter is it?
Is it paper-based like "yesterdays news" or wood granule pellets like "horse stall" or "wood stove"? Are they just shavings/sawdust?
Maybe swapping litter might help with him digging in the box. Also some diggy-toys and blankies might be a good idea to divert his attention off the bad habit.

Is your bunny producing more cecotropes than normal. Often bunnies eat it right when it plop out, so it never touch the ground ☺️

Latest posts

Back