Finding a Bunny Sitter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
We're going away for ten days this summer. Normally, we'd pack Gus up and takehim with us, but this time it just won't work. We'll be traveling 10-15 hours in the car, then staying in a hotel that doesn't accept pets, and then with family who has a pit bull. (Nothing against pit bulls, but I just don't trust this one with a rabbit in the house. :()

So I'm looking at two options:

Find a friend or family member willing to come twice a day for ten days to feed and water Gus and make sure he's okay.So far everyone I've asked has been "busy" or "not sure" or otherwise hesitant to do it. Sigh.

Option two is tofind someone to take Gus to their house for the full ten days.Of course, Ihaven't a clue who would be willing (and I could trust!) to take him for that long. It doesn't help that he's terrified of dogs and cats.

Any ideas or suggestions how to find a reliable and trustworthybunny sitter?

Thanks!

Rue

Try calling your vet and some other local vets. There are vet techs that do pet sitting and one who works at a rabbit vet would have some experience with rabbits. If your rabbit vet doesn't know of anyone, try other vets as they might. Some vets even do boarding, so ask about that as well.

A shelter or rabbit recuse might be able to help. While they might not be able to take him, they might have a network of people they use for sitting.

Any rabbit clubs in the area, even breeder clubs, can be helpful too. You never know who might be willing and able to help out.

There are also pet sitting companies and people who do it as a living. Most of these people only work in a certain area of the city. You do need to make sure they are good and know rabbits. Ask for references and question them a lot about everything. Some also take pets into their homes, but that might not be best if Gus doesn't like cats or dogs.

Boarding kennels sometimes take small animals. You should make sure they know how to care for a rabbit and have a dedicated area for the small animals as well as suitable sized cages. Visit the facility before you book anything.

Some bunny people might be willing to bunny sit for a little while. I know that I would take on a rabbit or 2 for a friend if needed. You might find someone on this forum in your area who has rabbits and might be willing to pet sit for you.

A 4-H member might be good too. There are rabbit and other small animal and pet clubs that might be good to check out. You would need to make sure that they would keep him inside and care for him as you do. Some 4-H rabbit projects are more breeding, so pet care is not something they focus on.

We have too many rabbits to take them anywhere, so we ask one of the kids on our block to come feed and water them when we go out of town. They're usually more thanwilling to do it because we pay them. Our rabbit vetwill house rabbits for customers going on vacation. It isn't as cheap as I would've thought though. I agree that ifyou use a vet thenmake surethey keep them in a separate area from the dogs and cats...especially since your rabbit is afraid of them.

[align=center]We used to have someone we trusted to stay at the house with my buns. But he never answers calls anymore. I have no idea who I will have watch my buns when we go Up North and such. My friend Will is lucky- he has me to watch his bunny (if he gets her) if he leaves his house. But I wouldn't be able to leave my three bunnies at his house. Too small so it'd be hard to keep them separated from his dog (Solara and Sabriel are terrified of dogs).

Hi Rue, if you want to fly GUS out to me I will gladly watch him. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

He's cute, I've loved :heartbeat::big kiss::inlove::heartshearts:heartbeat::big kiss::inlove::heartsGus from day that you wrote about him.

Susan:big wink:

I know our vet has cards at their office for people who have pet sitting businesses. I checked into them once and found they charged about $20-25 per day to come to your house. I never did end up using one.

Instead, I have hired a neighbor (high school, now college) to come over twice a day and watch after my rabbit. I also have a neighbor who I can ask and occasionally I watch her dog in return. This summer when I go away for longer, I will take my rabbit to a friends house. I am currently watching her two bunnies at my house. I feel better if I can find someone to share these duties with rather than paying a pet company. My friends' rabbits are not used to other pets either but I have them in a separate room from the rest of my house (cats and dogs) and they seem fine.

Latest posts

Back