Finally some good news

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazyDaizee

Reaction score
So Wally had surgery a few weeks ago and has healed up great. We started trying to bond the bunnies again. Every time she has the chance, Toot will bite Wally. He, having a head tilt, freaks out, rolls over and tries to bite anything in his path when this happens. Needless to say, even a nip from Toot can turn into a full fledged fight as a result. Luckily no serious injuries and the fights were broken up quickly and Wally gets over it in minutes.
Today we decided it was time to try something new. We were stuck. So we tried spraying Toot for aggressive moves. This did not work. She still went after him. So we decided to put her in the bath tub. Because she's still so bent on attacking, we put about an inch of water in the bottom of the tub, to give her something else to think about. I felt bad putting Wally in.. but she wasn't attacking. Then he rolled over in the tub and absolutely panicked. So I drained the tub, calmed him down, but having them both stressed I felt it useless to just put them back to their separate areas. So I put them in the empty tub together. Success. Wally ate treats in the tub and they seemed to be calming down together.

After about 10 minutes with no aggression in the tub, I set up a pen at my sister's apartment next door. I put them both in and no fighting. Thinking this is going great, I sat in the pen with them for a while, and Wally sat up to clean himself. Toot stuck her head underneath him to be groomed. Amazing. He didn't groom her, but it didn't matter.. he was grooming himself so she thought she was being groomed.
I left the pen and sat and watched them. No fighting. I added a litter box, food, water and toys. No fighting. They are not seeking each other out but will walk by each other. They seem pretty comfortable. Well.. Wally is completely comfortable.. Toot hasn't quite made up her mind.

They are still over there now, making total time together about 45 minutes or more. My boyfriend is hanging out with his brother over there, so he's going to keep an ear out for scuffles, while I (being the nervous one) relax over here, haha. If all goes well in a few more hours, I plan to move them back over to our apartment in the kitchen and leave the pen setup there for the night. Hopefully things will go well. I was getting so stressed about this bonding.. but finally a bit of encouragement.

Pictures to follow.

I think what you are saying is that you are going to move them back to their separate areas for the night but keep the pen set up

That is fine :)
just wanted to make sure that you don't leave them alone with each other overnight yet

We left them set up in their pen in our apartment, is what I meant. They are in the kitchen, which is closest to neutral territory as we have over here, but our apartment is small, and we wake up easily when the animals are making any noise.. so any scuffle we would have been right out there.

It went very well. Last night before we went to bed Toot was starting to nip a little, but she wasn't actually hurting Wally, and he realized it was just a nip, so he didn't panic like he had been, he'd just head off for the other side of the pen. We squirted Toot when she nipped. This morning there's no tufts of hair around, no bites. They're not snuggling, of course.. but they're not fighting. I just fed them so they're eating their veggies together.
Here are some pictures from last night:
fruits.jpg

litterbox.jpg

He was asking to be groomed.. she was just tolerating his presence.. not actually grooming him. Don't mind the poops, Wally hasn't quite got the litter box thing down yet
sweet.jpg

sweet2.jpg

And here they were eating treats
eating.jpg

Latest posts

Back