Finally a new cage!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauratunes12

Reaction score
So we've had Faith in a really small cage. It has room for her to maybe hop once, a wood log "house", her food bowl, and water bowl. We always felt really bad, but she was the right bunny at the wrong time. We were planning on getting a bunny, but still had to build the hutch we were going to build. My stepsister and I love holland lops, and were casually looking at them, when one day, on a area sell and swap page on facebook, somebody was selling $10 pedigreed holland lop kits. One of her does was having a litter, and she didn't have room in their enclosure, so she needed to get rid of them. SO, we decided to take the chance and got a tiny walmart cage for the time being.

Well, then we learned about NIC cages, and decided to make one instead of a hutch. We were too busy to order the panels until about a week ago, and they finally came in today! So, even though we were babysitting our 8 month old niece, and she was getting into all the cage stuff, we hurried up and made it, and Faith loves it!

251348_4228140014882_96332484_n.jpg

I apologize for the photo quality, my phone is being wacky, so I took it on the Ipad. See that stuff at the front of the cage by the way? We got her one of those wooden ball toys earlier this afternoon, and she tore it completely up within a couple of hours.

By the way, for those who saw my recent post about Faith being sick, I think she's okay now. She still won't eat her pellets, but she's eating plenty of hay and pooping close to a normal amount, so I'm pretty sure we're okay. :)

Oh, and we used the same kind of bedding we were using in her cage before in her litter box, plus some soiled bedding, and she seems to be doing pretty well with using it! A couple poops on the fleece, but mostly in the litter box.

That's so great! I just love her NIC condo. I bet she's having lots of fun in there. Those willow balls don't last long with my buns either. They just tear them apart and have a ton of fun doing it. If you have access to a willow tree you can make your own willow rings from the small flexible branches. I let mine dry out but you can give her the fresh branches too. My buns also love to chew on apple branches, if you know someone with a tree it works out really well. Being new rabbit owners, just FYI in case you don't know, you just want to make sure you use a rabbit safe litter, but you may already know that. I'm so happy for Faith. She's a lucky girl to be in such a good home with people that love her. Don't be too surprised if she doesn't always poop in her litter box, but as long as she's peeing in there she's doing really well.:)

Thanks! Yes, I know no kitty litter. We're using a bedding designed for rabbit/guinea pig cages right now. I'm not sure if she's peed yet, but I haven't seen any pee spots on the fleece, so either she just hasn't peed in there yet, or she went in her box. :)

If she's pooping in there then I bet she's peeing in there too. Yay!... I'm glad you know about the kitty litter not being good. Stores will also say cedar shavings and pine shavings are safe for rabbits, but don't believe it. Both can cause respiratory problems in rabbits, especially the cedar shavings... Really BAD :( I love how they sometimes put a picture of a cute little bunny on there so people think it's ok for rabbits. Alot of people on here will use wood pellets used for horse bedding. It's alot cheaper than some of the other litters. I use it for some of my rabbits but some of my rabbits haven't liked it so I also use aspen shavings which are ok for rabbits too, the downside of it is that it gets tracked everywhere. The wood pellets don't get tracked around hardly at all. But watch out if she decides she likes to dig in there :)

Latest posts

Back