Fighting rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip<3

Reaction score
Rabbits fighting, is there a way to prevent them from fighting again or is it inevitable?
I have one un-desexed female and one desexed male, I have been slowly introducing them over 4 weeks while my male recovered. They were allowed to interact through the bars and I couldn't see any form of aggression off either of them.
However, when I finally allowed them to interact without the bars (not in the cage - they were on the floor in my room).
Almost immediately the female attacked my male, once I separated them the male hid while the female repeatedly tried to charge him.
Is this a case of just an aggressive female, would it help if I desexed her or should I think about rehoming?

Most entire females are very territorial and aggressive, more so than the males. I would separate them completely, different rooms would be ideal so they can’t smell or see each other and can forget the whole incident. Then get her spayed, give it 6-8 weeks for hormones to die down and then try bonding again.

Most entire females are very territorial and aggressive, more so than the males. I would separate them completely, different rooms would be ideal so they can’t smell or see each other and can forget the whole incident. Then get her spayed, give it 6-8 weeks for hormones to die down and then try bonding again.
Oh I was not aware that the females are more aggressive than the males. Having already been in a scrap, is it likely that they will manage to get along?

You should also find a neutral place when putting them together. But if they aren’t fighting when it bars between them.

You might be able to bond them but better get her spayed.

Myself tried to bond my neutered buck with my spayed doe. That bond didn’t work at all. The doe slept next to the bars and could groom him but without warning she would start biting and attacking him. While the buck tried to hide and back away but when he was cornered he started to fight.

It turn so bad that the moment the buck and doe see each other they are ready to fight.

So you can’t know if spaying her will help, but always worth a try.

Some rabbits dosen’t work bonding with each other or their bond will just become extremely hard.

Hormones fully dissipate by around 6-8 weeks post neuter for males and around 4 weeks for females. She definitely needs to be spayed before the bonding starts. Because they fought, it would be ideal to separate them for at least a month so they can forget each other (separate like can't see or smell each other). If that isn't possible/practical, it's probably ok since they only fought once and it was likely caused by hormones... but make sure they can NOT interact through bars (better yet, put cardboard or posterboard or something up so they can't see each other either). With time and a spay surgery, you should be able to reset things and try bonding again like the fighting never happened.

Latest posts

Back