Fey- extreme sudden weight loss- RIP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naturestee

Reaction score
Fey is very very sick. I didn't expect her to last the night but she did. The emergency vets in a several hour radius are worthless for rabbits, but if she lasts that long I'll bring her into my rabbit savvy vet ASAP tomorrow morning.

History: 6.5 year old Dwarf Hotot with megacolon, bonded with a New Zealand boy. Her sister died almost three years ago of a sudden GI issue, possibly bloat, that did not respond to vet treatment.

Friday I noticed that the water bowl was getting emptied faster than normal. Both buns were happy, hungry, and active. They felt fine to me when I was petting them. Fey felt a little skinny but that's not unusual. Same thing Saturday morning (although I didn't pet them). Saturday night Fey looked like she had wasted away. When I picked her up she felt like a feather, did not fuss about being picked up, and had a thin poopy mess on her rear and belly. She also felt a little cold. She moved stiffly and held her left rear leg out to the side. She still ate but tired quickly from it. This morning she's still the same but more stiff and doesn't like to move the joints of her hind legs.

I am doing supportive measures, although I don't have sub-q fluids. Heat (Snuggle Safe), yummy food, setting things up so she doesn't have to move far. Oberon is being a well-behaved, snuggly pillow for her. Frankly I think there is something seriously wrong with her internal organs and I don't want to do anything that will stress her out or make her uncomfortable in what is likely the end of her time.

Any suggestions/advice?

This doesn't look good. I really do hope that Fey makes it through today.

I will see if I can get a hold of Randy. It does sound like you need help fast.

I agree with what you are doing here. It does sound like some type or organ failure....liver or kidney most likely. At this point, it sounds as the only thing you can do is to provide supportive carein any way you can. A blood panel should shed light on what is happening once you can get to a vet. Best wishes....Randy

Thanks Randy. As much as it sucks, it's good to have confirmation that I'm thinking on the right track. If it was something that I thought could be treated I'd risk going to the emergency vet.

Goofy girl just jumped into her hay rack. I have no idea how she did it because she can barely hop, but she just loves nomming hay in there even though she has some on the floor.

Nutri Cal will help provide calories/energy. I agree with Randy that this doesn't sound good at Fey's age and supportive care is most likely all you can do now.

:pray:

Best wishes to you, Fey, and Oberon. I agree that it sounds like kidney failure. She's such a special girl and I hope that she is comfortable and happy. It sounds like you are doing the best you can for her, and I do not think an emergency vet would have the know-how to add any extra help in this situation.

This is Mr. Stee. We tried to go to the vet to put Fey to sleep because she could not move at all this morning, but while sitting in the waiting room, Fey passed on within our arms. I am sure naturestee will post more once she can, but it may be a bit. Thank you all for your love and prayers.

Latest posts

Back