Few questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreezeNkody

4 Fuzz-Butts
Reaction score
So Gunner my Flemish giant just turned 2 1/2 months. Now this is my first baby and he's a handful for sure. Of course he's chewing, he got my cell cord 2 times. He's not chewing the wood thank god! ( knock on wood) but I guess one of my questions is what age can I get him fixed? I haven't yet flipped him to see if his "plums" have dropped but I've noticed he's started to chin the last couple of days and he does territorial mark. Also when can I start feeding him Timothy pellets instead of alfalfa. I also found that he likes the bitter apple spray I bought. I used it on the mats i bought for him because he's started to pick at them. And what's the easiest way to clip his nails they are sharp lil buggers. Any other info on raising a baby would be awesome! Thanks! ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384653222.486181.jpg

Males can typically be done once the testicles drop, but the age that happens can vary. Some vets might not want to operate on a rabbit that young, so might want to wait until he is around 4 months. Some rabbits do take longer the mature, so might not drop until they are a bit older.

Alfalfa pellets and hay are generally recommended until at least 6 months of age. Flemish Giants do take longer to grow, so may benefit from them for longer. You would probably go 8-12 months if you wanted to, at least on one source of alfalfa.

Getting help to trim the nails can be a good idea. They are not hard to trim, but babies tend to be more feisty and not want to cooperate. Have one person hold him and the other trim. You should only need to take off the tips as the nails should not be very long.

My rabbit Snowbelle is trained to lay on her back in my lap while I clip her nails. I started when she was a baby. I would have someone help and I would slowly turn her over and have her lay there while the other person was keeping her from getting up. When she would get calm I would start clipping, and stop if she got nervous so I wouldn't clip one too short. I have done that enough with her now that I don't need a second person. When I turn her on her back in my lap she pretty much goes to sleep while I clip her nails.

Latest posts

Back