females fighting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunnybunny63

Reaction score
i have had my 2 rabbits Daisy and Dandy sincethey were 9 weeks old. they were bought from a pet shop as 2 mini lops.Daisy isnt small and doesnt lop and she looks very much like a wildrabbit/ hare!!! :runningrabbit:

my main problem is that once they both got to teenage stage in lifeDaisy started attacking Dandy, somtimes very vicously and so Dandy hasscars on her ears for life! :(once they started fighting isplit them up and split there big pen into 2 and that is how it hasstayed. i was told by my vets that lettin them have a litter each mitehelp calm them down. so i let them have 2 litters each but that didntdo the trick. we next decided to hav Daisy spayed to see if that wouldhelp. unfortunalty it didnt and Daisy attaked Dandy again whilst shewas pregnat which we presume caused Dandy not to have enough milk forher young so we started giving them extra feeds and half hand rearedthem! but thats a different story in its self!!! :bunnydance:

once Dandy had finished rearing her young we had to make the choice ofgetting her spayed or letting her hav another litter. over a lot ofdescusions we decided to get her spayed during my easter holidays so iwould be around to look after her. she has now recovered fully.:elephant:

now that both my bunnies are spayed i would like to get them living together but how is the best way to get them back together?

First off, I highly recommend finding a bettervet for your rabbits. He was very irresponsible to tell youto breed your rabbits to improve their temperaments. It doesnot improve temperament, it only needlessly adds to the rabbitpopulation. Vets that are up to date on rabbit health wouldrecommend spaying them first and would not recommend breeding unlessyou intended to breed in the first place.

I would wait to introduce them for a few weeks, to let Dandy heal fromher spay. Then you can start putting them together for shortperiods of time in a neutral area, a place where neither has ever beenbefore. Wear heavy gloves and be prepared to pull them apartin case they start fighting. Let them decide how long theirbonding sessions can be. If they start fighting or gettingfrustrated, separate them again till the next day. Theyshould get used to each other and learn to like each other, but it maytake some time. Especially since they will remember fightingeach other.

There's a lot more info on bonding rabbits in the Bunny 101 bonding thread here:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

And this is one of my favorite sites:
http://www.mybunnies.com/bonding.htm

Latest posts

Back