Female buns fighting!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trisho

Reaction score
Hi all,

So just a couple weeks ago, my 2 3-month old bunnies got into a sort of fight, tumbling and crashing into their cage, they’re toys and the walls. I’ve never seen it happen before so I was a little shocked and didn’t know what to do— I panicked and took one of them out of their enclosure until I figured out what to do.
I ended up putting her back in and they acted like it never happened- back to cuddling they went.

I didn’t think much of it until last night. They began fighting again and this time, they seem to be ignoring and avoiding each other. I’m aware that it’s dominance-driven and one bunny has to assert herself over the other.
I’m just concerned about their bunny relationship and how bad the fights might get.

They’re just babies and they’re also sisters from the same litter so they’re very bonded and familiar with one another. It breaks my heart to see the animosity when they’re not sizing up one another...😢
They also have an adequately-sized habitat with lots of hiding and climbing spots, as well as toys— two litter boxes and two water dishes and unlimited alfalfa hay.

My friend, who’s an experienced bunny mom, said that it’s perfectly normal for fights to occur and to let it play out so that they settle which of them is the top dog. I’ve also read online that it’s very rare for female bunnies to fight to the death, which is what I’m ultimately concerned about— like I said, they’re just babies and sisters so I doubt it’ll come to that.
I just get nervous when I’m at work and can’t keep an eye on them.

Please let me know what you think!
Take care!

NO. Do not let them "fight it out." Rabbit fights can cause serious harm!

They are hormonal now because of their age. They should both be separated. If they are continued to be allowed to fight, they may permanently break any hopes of bonding.

Once they are both spayed, the true bonding process can begin. Baby bonds simply don't count as true bonds. Almost all babies get along but only until those pesky hormones kick in.

Bonding can be a tricky thing and there are no guarantees. The fact that they are fighting now is not good, so please separate them completely for now. Their best chance for bonding is to keep them apart until after they've healed from their spays.

Here's more on bonding:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html

What Blue eyes said. And just to reiterate, DO NOT let them fight it out. True fighting can result in very serious injuries, even among female rabbits. Though minor scuffles and nipping can be a normal part of the bonding process, true fighting is not and immediate and continued separation is essential if this ever occurs. Once they are both spayed, real bonding can be attempted, but no guarantees as to whether they will like each other or not.

Latest posts

Back