Female bun has left kidney enlarged! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrownieDaisyandJasmine<3

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a 1.5 year old female, Dutch bunny. She gave birth to 5 kits on 26th April 2021. All her issues have started since then. She had a bout of excessive sneezing and white discharge from her nose. I got some help and gave her antibiotics and that problem has resolved. But since the past two weeks or so, I felt a lemon sized lump on her left side. I took her to a vet( he seems to know the basics about rabbits but he's not extremely rabbit-savvy) he felt the lump and said that her left kidney is enlarged. He told me to increase her water intake and bring her back in a week. The vet also felt multiple small, hard lumps along her belly. He said that it happens as a result of internal bruises during delivery as a defence mechanism. She has been peeing a lot more frequently but not drinking as much. Does anyone have any similar experiences? I really need all the help i can get. She's very precious to me and i cant stand losing her.

All her other activities are perfectly normal. She's eating and pooping properly, and the lump does not seem to be painful since she doesnt even react when I touch it and give it a gentle squeeze. She lives with her bonded friend ( also a 1.5 year old, unspayed female) in a 6ft by 4ft enclosure. She's nursing her babies properly and all of them are perfectly healthy and have started nibbling on grass.

Oh and her diet includes unlimited Bermuda grass, and a cup of veggies like cilantro, cabbage, dandelion, mint, spinach, basil, cucumbers etc and the occasional treat.

I do not have a similar experiance but I'll do some reserch and see what I find! Here are some foods to avoid as they can cause health problems in the long run: Iceberg lettuce, carrots, nightshade plants (any part, no leaves or stems), peas, corn, cauliflower, kale, spinach, yogurt drops.

Did the Vet suggest running a blood profile to check her kidney function. There are many conditions that can cause a 'mass' on the kidney and not all are cancer. Some conditions can be treated/managed medically. In some cases surgery is an option. Try not to loose all hope until you have more facts. *Copied from online*

Hydronephrosis is swelling of one or both kidneys. Kidney swelling happens when urine can't drain from a kidney and builds up in the kidney as a result. This can occur from a blockage in the tubes that drain urine from the kidneys (ureters) or from an anatomical defect that doesn't allow urine to drain properly.

Hydronephrosis - Overview - Mayo Clinic

*Also copied from online*

He told me to wait for a week, increase fluid intake and monitor the swelling. If it doesnt decrease then he'll do the necessary xrays and stuff and start meds incase of an infection

I do not have a similar experiance but I'll do some reserch and see what I find! Here are some foods to avoid as they can cause health problems in the long run: Iceberg lettuce, carrots, nightshade plants (any part, no leaves or stems), peas, corn, cauliflower, kale, spinach, yogurt drops.
i dont give any of these except spinach and cauliflower occasionally

Okay, if she seems to be in anymore discomfort, (if she is in any now), make sure she is as comfortable as possible, and if the swelling gets worse, take her back to the vet. You may want to get your other Bun checked as well, if she has increased urine. Make sure they are both drinking lots of water.

Okay, if she seems to be in anymore discomfort, (if she is in any now), make sure she is as comfortable as possible, and if the swelling gets worse, take her back to the vet. You may want to get your other Bun checked as well, if she has increased urine. Make sure they are both drinking lots of water.
she is not in any pain she is acting perfectly normal and is flopping around like usual
and she doesnt even react when i touch the swelling

That's good! Keep an eye on her and just look for any behevior changes that indicate pain. She seems to be happy and feeling okay. Take that as a good sign!

That's good! Keep an eye on her and just look for any behevior changes that indicate pain. She seems to be happy and feeling okay. Take that as a good sign!
i know its probably not tooooooo serious but Im still extremely worried since I know how bad kidney problems can get
Keeping my fingers crossed for everything to get better

Hey guys
Anyone found out about something like this? My bunny is still acting perfectly normal except for the increased peeing. Plz guys Im really worried about her.......

Also, the other day I saw a small amount of brown dried stuff near the urine. Is that blood? If so, what could have caused this?

Latest posts

Back