feeling a bit over run!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatever4andnomore

Reaction score
somehow over the last month and a half we have gone from having 1 rabbit and 1 guinea pig to 3 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs. About a month ago we joined 4H so my daughter can do the rabbit project with a friend of hers. We did our research and my daughter decided on the breed mini rex. While looking for cages at a local pet store, I myself, fell in love with a beautiful jet black mini rex. He has been there for quite sometime and i felt compelled to take him home, so I did. Black Jack is definately my rabbit. So, on with the search for a pedigreed rabbit for my daughter. A week later I took her and this friend of hers to a rabbit show. We found these beautiful lil rabbits that fit the bill perfectly. Young rabbits, but not too young. Good show quality and friendly enough for pet quality. My daughter picked the doe, SunDancer and her friend picked the buck, Pepsi. They are brother and sister, litter mates, and they came complete with pedigrees and ear tatoos. To add to the mix a young girl was selling cute guinea pigs so I thought, what the heck, why not get a friend for my son's piggie, Mr Squeekies.

Now that the initial shock of these sudden "add on pets" has worn off and we have found a nice routine, another clinker was tossed into the works. After only a month and one 4H meeting, my daughter's friend was told she cannot keep HER rabbit, Pepsi and we must take him back or they will be getting rid of him. I mean I had to make an instant choice right then and there! I felt somewhat responsible, since I made the initial purchase of the rabbit (her dad paid me back) The other choice was that they were going to give the rabbit to some random little girl who thought "having a rabbit would be cool." I couldn't find it in my heart to allow a pedigreed rabbit, and SunDancer's brother and litter mate go to someone who would probably neglect and eventually "get rid" of Pepsi. (FYI it wouldn't have mattered to be me if he was pedigreed or not, I just did not like the sound of those whole arrangment) So, I decided to take him in and keep him in my son's room thinking he can belong to my son to show for 4H. So now I have a total of 4 rabbits, and now thumper is not doing well. I have to wait til monday to take her to a vet if she makes it thru the weekend. So now I feel a bit overwhelmed and shell shocked again.

Anyone else seem to take on 'extra" animals in a similar event?

Sounds just like me! I'm tempted to get a rabbit at every show! I've gotten every rabbit at one!
I went from 3 rabbits to 8 in just this year! I'm usually not supposed to have that much! Always before a show I tell myself, no rabbits. Or if I have all these rabbits, they all won't get attention!

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

I've had kind of a similar situation! The only reason I convinced my mom to rescue Clover from the people getting rid of her for free was 4H! Then, I found out that I needed a purebreed for 4H and looked all over for one with papers but settled on Chestnut. Turns out she was a mix too! I started looking for a pure breed with papers from an ACTUAL breeder for 4h, but I missed the due date for registration this year and I won't be able to next year(I am turning 18 next year). The temptation is somewhat gone now XD I still see people giving away buns for free on craigslist and am always tempted to get more to save them. I won't do much to save them if I don't have the space! x3

I have to avert my eyes. We have two fourteen year old mini dachshunds, a cat, my Barry, 16 chickens and a lovely display of anoles and tree frogs. I know that at any time there could be a vet bill, or multiple vet bills, so I know that I must keep myself in check. All of my furr and feather babies can be expensive. Fortunately for Barry, I work from home and he is never lonely, and in no way appears to be. Also, he has the company of the dogs and cat and they do interact, BUT when my old stinky girls (dogs) depart this world, I do plan to take Barry with me to a rescue and let him pick out a friend.

P.S. Good on you for taking Pepsi back in. I probably would have done the same. LOL you could always start a rescue!

I went from one rabbit to 3 in one weekend! It was kind of stressful! I made the mistake of going on craigslist to look at buns and found two that needed to be rescued right away. I feel kind of over run also, but it is getting better now that I have a routine down.

This happened to me too...started with a dog only ended up with one rabbit because I fell in love with her and no one wanted her due to her matted fur..my boyfriend brought home rabbit number 2 because he adored her...Then I decided I wanted a flemish because they are just so incredible and after a three month saving/search time here I am with 3 bunnies a dog and 6 tiger salamanders my boyfriend rescued from the drainage hole in his shop...my house is getting crowded and we are looking for a bigger one due to the animals and kids things taking over lol!

At least I know I am not alone. My coworkers and friends/family think I an nutty (but in a kind way) and I think I agree with them! LOL! And to go with Channah's comment I had THOUGHT about a rescue! It's a good think I rent my house so I would not be able to such a thing. Perhaps someday.

So for the moment, we have 3 rabbits (Thumper did pass, so its back to 3) 2 guinea pigs, an ornery cat, a frog and a fish. So here the family petting zoo sits!

I think it's safe to say we all know how you feel. When we started getting into rabbits for FFA we started with a trio. Now 6 years later we are at on average 20-25 depending on number of litters. Let's just say that we can't easily go on vacation when we want LOL!

I went from 2 to 5 and getting two more also went from 2 to 4 to 7 (school rabbit and stray) and then three more bunnies I also went from 3 to 4 guinea pigs :)
Ps if both gps are males make sure there are no female scents as they will kill each other :) I have 2 males and 2 females and I have to be very careful and I have a dominant male and a baby male.

BunBun.... Breeding quality mini lops since 1999

I have 3 dogs, 3 birds, 6 fish, 5 bunnies, 4 guinea pigs and I am getting two more hopefully and two turtles and two frogs and about 6 hermit crabs

BunBun.... Breeding quality mini lops since 1999

Latest posts

Back