Feel bad.. :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheenisowner

Reaction score
So this is the second time I am cutting her nails. I was able to do one hand but poor girl was terrified...breathing heavily..trying to run away...I held her down as gently as possible...but eventually I felt too bad so I put her back down and gave her a baby carrot as a treat to calm her down. She sat in her cage breathing heavily..shaking her body...so I let her be.

She's calm now...but what do I do? I want to cut the other hand and her feet tomorrow but I don't want it to be a traumatic experience for her. I want her to get used to me doing these things for her instead of paying someone else to do it. I've tried doing that while I put fresh hay but now that is associated with brushing her coat so I don't want to disturb that...the first time I did it, it took an hour and I was following her as she would flop down in various parts of the room. She won't let me flip her even as the breeder told me how to and she just flips back over and runs away.

I feel extremely guilty for having her feel that way...

Any suggestions?:(

Try wrapping her in a towel burrito style and flip her that way? Q-tip trances easily, so flipping her isn't a problem, but I still wrap her when I'm doing her nails. Adds that extra bit of security (for me, too!)

I cut my bunnies front nails while he's sitting down....I sit on the floor and put his front feet on my lap, then I just talk to him and tickle him and cut one nail at a time.

:)

I watched the vet do it and have done it the same as him. I put Barley on the bathroom counter, scrunch down a bit so I can tuck him against my body with my right arm, hold a front paw with my left hand, and clip the claws with my right. It's the back paws I have trouble with and usually leave for the vet! :D

I usually have my sister hold them while I clip their nails. Has she gotten her quick cut before? I've had bunnies freak out about getting their nails cut if I've nicked their quick.

***UPDATE!***

So I just finished cutting the rest of her nails. I put her on the bathroom counter and she was like (doubleyewteeeff?!) I put one arm to snuggle her and held one paw with that hand and used my right hand to cut. She was breathing pretty fast so I kept talking to her softly while doing it. Her breathing didn't slow down but I was able to cut the rest. Mind you there were a couple of times she tried to jump in my arms and on to my shoulder and one nib on my arm lol. After I put her down and she hopped from the bathroom to my room and flopped down beside where I sit with my laptop. She calmed herself much quicker than the other day and now she's eating her hay and being herself. Sigh...She'll have to get used to this..but I think over time she will be fine.

Gosh I love her. :)

Thanks for all your tips everyone! Much appreciated!

My rabbit Jordan is cool with an electric "sander". I use it on her and she's just like whatever. Its fast and painless just having her nails filed down.

But Bamm-Bamm doesn't like it, so I have to clip her nails. Like another user suggested I just wrap her in a towel and flip her. She kind of freezes up, but I have to be quick because she starts thrashing. Then I spoil her and baby talk to her :)!

Latest posts

Back