Feeding Your Rabbit Q & A

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only heard that apple tree sticks are okay.

I once saw Willow branches can be given as a chew stick, but I am not sure about that. Aspirin is derived from a certain kind of willow bark, so I would personally steer clear of willow.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone except someone with a sick, underweight rabbit: I fed my rabbit Kaytee Fiesta food and the treats on a stick DAILY. When he was deathly sick, he weighed just under 2 lbs when his normal weight 3-4 lbs. So, only use fatty foods when your bun desperately needs it. Otherwise, the foods i just listed aren't really supposed to be part of a bun's diet.

Hi!

My first bunny is a very picky eater. (I don't know what she ate before I adopted her.) I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how I can persuade her to eat her veggies. She loves her hay. She picks through her pellets for the seeds and other stuff besides the pellets (I tried the plain pellets but she just ignored it all.) But the only veggie she eats is carrots - and that only once in a while. I've read up on what's good for her and I've tried a large variety but no luck. And if I don't give her the pellet mix, she'd just start on the baseboard trim :)

Any hints for a picky bunny?

I feed my rabbit a variety of timothy hay pellets, varieties of hay, and fresh fruits and veggies.. But no matter how much I feed him (I feel like his portions are huge) he always acts like he is starving and basically attacks when I put more food in. I don't want to overfeed him because he is already a little chubby! What are the proper rations for around a 4 pound rabbit a little over a year old? :? And if I'm overfeeding, how/what do I cut back?

Slpmail wrote:
My first bunny is a very picky eater. (I don't know what she ate before I adopted her.) I was wondering if anyone has some advice on how I can persuade her to eat her veggies. She loves her hay. She picks through her pellets for the seeds and other stuff besides the pellets (I tried the plain pellets but she just ignored it all.) But the only veggie she eats is carrots - and that only once in a while. I've read up on what's good for her and I've tried a large variety but no luck. And if I don't give her the pellet mix, she'd just start on the baseboard trim :)

I've got one of those, but you're lucky, mine won't eat hay, only veggies. And pellets. I did get her to eat the Timothy pellets though. I mixed at least three brands together and gradually reduced amount of the one(s) she shouldn't eat while increasing the one she should eat and she gradually adjusted.

I had to put my foot down. Pipp's been officially diagnosed with SBS -- Spoiled Bunny Syndrome -- which I can attest really does exist. Bunnies are masters at taking advantage of soft-hearted owners. That still hasn't worked with hay, though. I think she would starve herself first.

Does she like grass? If she eats some pulled or fresh grass (not cuttings), she may realize that veggies are pretty cool too. Will she eat carrot tops?

She's probably pretty healthy on the hay, as long as you're giving her enough of it, which should protect your baseboards, too. Pet store bags are woefully inadequate. Bunnies can (and should) munch on hay all day. Its entertainment and nutrition.

sas :bunnydance:

kacyrenee wrote:
I feed my rabbit a variety of timothy hay pellets, varieties of hay, and fresh fruits and veggies.. But no matter how much I feed him (I feel like his portions are huge) he always acts like he is starving and basically attacks when I put more food in. I don't want to overfeed him because he is already a little chubby! What are the proper rations for around a 4 pound rabbit a little over a year old? :? And if I'm overfeeding, how/what do I cut back?
I've got one of those, too. (I think I have or have had one of everything). ;)

Mister is a fur shark mini-rex who acts like every meal is his last. He approaches me mouth wide open, teeth first.

Mister can and does seriously go through a half a flake of hay every day. I'd make sure I was buying a variety of hay by the bale and just let him at it. I've got a big litter box with hay piled up on one side, and I have a carrier stuffed with it for emergencies, and he plows through it.

He also shares a daily salad the size of the one in my avatar with his girlfriend. Poor Darry used to be a slow eater, she'd leisurely eat her salad all day. Now she has to grab as much as possible as soon as possible or go without!

If he's chunky, you're going to have to cut back on the pellets and take your lumps. ;) He should only get a few tablespoons full.

But I'd find a farm or equestrian source if you don't already have one and fill him with hay.

Mister is still 'jaws', but he's not as bad as he used to be.

Exercise is really key, too.

PS: Please note that this thread has been pinned on top of the forum, and as pinned threads are usually announcements, the Moderators have missed a lot of the questions. Thus there is some good information in this thread, but also some not-so-good info that was never corrected. Be forewarned.

Slpmail wrote:
Any hints for a picky bunny?
Try stronger flavored greens like parsley, cilantro and kale. Odd as it seems, many buns go crazy for them. When Scone's had bouts of stasis over the years it's often taken one of those to entice him back to eating.

I should say that kale is high in calcium, so be careful of feeding very large quantities. When Scone had his kidney stones last year I had to cut out the kale entirely.

Here's the deal: my buns don't get veggies much. They've never had parsley before. So, I bought a small bundle of it at the grocery store. Just read that it can't be fed in high amounts. Please elaborate on "small amounts". I want to use up the parsley before it goes bad but I don't want my bun to get sick either. Ayudame por favor.

If they have never had a certain vegetable before, you need to start with just 1 piece each. Then observe, and if they seem to tolerate it (no poopy butt) you can give them a piece again next day.
When you've done that for a few days, and there are no problems, you can give them more the next day. Slowly up the amount over several days, and if things keep going well, you should be fine.

I give mine about 6-7 stalks every time, twice a day. She is fine with that.

Hi i would like to ask about my rabbit's diet. She is 2months old. And currently i am only feeding her alfalfa hay, mixed with a bit of oat hay and hagen rabbit pellets.

I was told in another forum that i should not introduce her to any vegetables at this point to avoid diarrhea. Is this true? Because im very tempted to let her try some carrots i have in the fridge >_<

I'd introduce her to bits of veggies as well as a little grass hay, and maybe better pellets than Hagen, depending on which Hagen product you're feeding her.

Would it be too much trouble to post the contents along with the protein, fiber, calcium and fat counts?

sas :thanks:

I really wish to post the ingredients, but im afraid i have thrown away the package :p i'll try to come up with the ingredients if i see it online.

Is there any other pellets that you would recommend? Tho Oxbow is very good, but its very very expensive here in Malaysia :(

I couldn't find the ingredients online, which is always suspicious. I know some of their products are better than others.

I'm not sure what other brands are available in Malaysia, maybe somebody in the Malaysia area forum will know. Always good to connect to other people in your area regardless.. :)

As long as you're feeding her a lot of different types of hay, grasses and introducing her to veggies and other safe plants, she's fine with even not-so-great pellets.

At her age, she gets to eat as much of everything as she wants, including pellets, although encourage the hay. (Just introduce new things very slowly). She's a growing girl!

Thanks a lot pipp~ you have given a lot of good advice.. I might want to swap to this. A friend owns a petshop here, and she is selling this show rabbit feed. Have a look at it - http://www.petshack.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=738, if you think its ok i might swap to this. Actually i just got off from a few rabbit forums.. a lot did say Hagen isnt recommended. So yeah i really would want to swap for the best.

Here are some available pellets here in malaysia:

- Hagen
- Oxbow (A little out of my league.. its really pricey here)
- Beh & yo Show rabbit Feed
- Prestige line
- Britter Bunny
- Kaytee Forti Diet
- Vitakraft <-- so many in this line

Which would you guys reccommend..

Lunaraine wrote:
Thanks a lot pipp~ you have given a lot of good advice.. I might want to swap to this. A friend owns a petshop here, and she is selling this show rabbit feed. Have a look at it - http://www.petshack.com.my/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=738, if you think its ok i might swap to this. Actually i just got off from a few rabbit forums.. a lot did say Hagen isnt recommended. So yeah i really would want to swap for the best.

Here are some available pellets here in malaysia:

- Hagen
- Oxbow (A little out of my league.. its really pricey here)
- Beh & yo Show rabbit Feed
- Prestige line
- Britter Bunny
- Kaytee Forti Diet
- Vitakraft <-- so many in this line

Which would you guys reccommend..

The one in the link is Beh & Yo, the ingredients look good for a growing rabbit -- high protein, high fat, passable fiber count and added nutrients, all the need vitamins.

Kaytee is livable, but not great.

Britter Bunny looks like a treat food.

I think all the Vitakraft is dicey, it has all sorts of junk in it.

There are a few brands and a rundown of their contents in the Library. The post should also tell you what to look for -- high fiber, protein counts, etc. (I would like to add Hagen and any other to this list).

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12160&forum_id=17

I would probably settle for Beh & Yo's show rabbit feed. They have some pretty good feedback :D thanks :)

Latest posts

Back