Feeding Your Rabbit Q & A

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if Marigolds are safe to give? I thought they might of been a dangerous plant. But I seen some packaged in Hay at the pet store. Anyway I have some growing at home. Should I let my buns try some?

Yes, and no. Depends on what marigolds you are growing.
If they are "pot marigolds" (Calendula) they are perfectly safe.
If they are of one of the other species that are also called marigold, they may or may not be safe.

My rabbit, Nibbles, isn't eating his timothy hay! Since I know hay is party of their diet, should I get orchard grass or oat hay and mix it in with the timothy? If so which kind do you think is better?

I would suggest trying lots of different types of hay, but also suggest that you get his teeth checked out in case there is a medical reason he isn't eating hay (such as molar spurs). It might be worth making a thread about this then you will probably get more help and support :)

If you do make a thread could you maybe explain more about the diet Nibbles is on, and also input and what his output looks like too, and how he is in himself.

Nibbles96 wrote:
My rabbit, Nibbles, isn't eating his timothy hay! Since I know hay is party of their diet, should I get orchard grass or oat hay and mix it in with the timothy? If so which kind do you think is better?
It really doesn't matter - grass hay is essentially all the same, as far as nutrition is concerned. That said, they must taste very different to bunnies, as Scone won't touch timothy either. He loves orchard grass and brome hay, and also Peter's Meadow Mix (a mixture of hays from Marshall Pet Products). Oat hay seems to be mainly for digging in, so I view it as a toy more than a food.

Try Nibbles on some other kinds of grass hays, and see what he likes. No need to mix them - Nibbles would just pick the orchard grass out from the timothy, and leave the timothy behind. That's natural behavior, actually - rabbits in the wild are selective grazers, and wander the fields picking out one kind of leaf from another.

I usually keep bags of different kinds of hays, and scatter the different kinds in different places. Scone seems to like the variety, and hunting for just the right kind of hay he's craving at any given moment.

Hey there, im wondering about cutting pellets out of my rabbits diet. But im not sure what quantities and which fruits/veggies/grass would balance out the nutrients.

The House Rabbit Society recommends at least 2 cups chopped vegetables per 6 lbs.

what type of veggies should i feed my bunny. i only feed it a tiny piece of apple and banana some carrot and lots of brocoli.

btw is silver beet tops poisonous to bunnys.

bunnyqueen101

I know rabbits can have apple branches, but does any one know about walnut tree branches? (my sister has an apple tree, we have a walnut tree)
Also does anyone know how i should go about giving them (if walnut trees are ok) to her? Do i need to wash them, bake them, or what? Thanks!

I would NOT give walnut branches to your rabbits. Walnut contains juglone, which is toxic to many plants, and is known to cause allergic reactions in humans and livestock, particularly horses.

I forgot i asked this question.. woops. But thanks for your answer! Thought i'd ask since we have them, but dont wanna risk it. I'm gonna get some apple branches this week and try those then.
Thanks!

Does anone ever thoroughly cook the food they give there bunnies, or is it better for them to eat it raw?

Kredyt

Although it is acceptable to feed cooked "baby food" when they are sick or not eating on their own, it is much better for them to eat raw food.

Exerpts from http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/rabbits/rabbit-diet/fresh-rabbit-food-tips.aspx :
"Although we might prefer cooked broccoli over raw or vice versa, don’t give your rabbit this option. “Rabbits are capable of digesting raw vegetables and plant materials; they are not designed to digest cooked food,” says Susan Smith, professor of nutritional sciences at the University of Wisconsin.Cooking also reduces a food’s fiber content and nutrient value — both important components of a healthy rabbit’s diet, according to Smith.

Fresh, raw veggies offer your rabbit variety and nutrition. “Frozen, canned or cooked vegetables will not provide your rabbit companion with the nutrition and fiber he needs,” Pierce said."

Granted Corn is not good for rabbits, but how about the occasional bits of Popcorn?

My nightly snack is home made hot air popcorn, and the rabbits are sooooo inquisitive about it, that I really want to give them some, would it be ok, to give them a piece or to every so often? I don't add salt or butter or anything onto it.

Latest posts

Back