Feeding too much???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alliefan

Reaction score
I've had my baby Flemish Giant for 3 months. She's 8 months old. When I read how much others are feeding their buns, I feel like I'm over feeding her. I give her about 2 cups of pellets each day, as well as about 6-8 leaves of romain or about 4 cups of "spring mix" daily. Every other day I give her 1/2 carrot (I know most people say that's too much) and she gets 24/7 hay. If I don't feed her this much she is constantly bumping my foot and running to the kitchen looking for food. She eats like a small horse. In between all that, I do let her run out of food so she'll be for ed to eat more hay but I wish she ate more. Have I spoiled her? Should I just let her go without during the day so that she's forced to eat more??? It's really hard when she seems unsatified without the pellets.

https://rabbit.org/faq-diet/ is what we all go by for feeding guidelines:

What quantities of food should I feed young adults? (7 months to 1 year)
  • introduce timothy hay, grass hay, oat hay, and other hays; decrease alfalfa
  • decrease pellets to 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight
  • increase daily vegetables gradually; make sure your rabbit can tolerate
  • fruit daily ration no more than 1 oz. to 2 oz. per 6 lbs. body weight (because of calories)

Pellets are crack. Almost all rabbits are always trying to swindle more pellets out of you. And sugary stuff like fruit and carrot. At her age, 2 cups of pellets is enough for a 24 lb rabbit! Too many pellets and treats will lead to obesity, which can contribute to other health issues (like arthritis and diabetes). It's tough love, but you definitely need to crack down on how much of that stuff you let her have (don't just dramatically reduce her daily ration, though - cut back gradually over a week or two). Try introducing other exciting leafy greens... cilantro and kale are favorites at my house (other than Nala, who hates cilantro as much as I do!). HRS also has a great article on veggies.

Flemish continue growing until about 10-12 months so she is still considered a youth. After 12 months or so you can use the guidelines for an adult rabbit. The guidelines above are for smaller breeds.

Ok, thank you both so much. I will keep increasing veggies and decrease the grain and just force her to eat more hay. She just acts like she's starving, following me around bumping my foot. So this helps!

Latest posts

Back