Feeding time!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreezeNkody

4 Fuzz-Butts
Reaction score
So this is my first baby, he turned 10 weeks yesterday. He's a Flemish giant I may add. as of now he's in oxbow young rabbit and a mix of alfalfa hay and Timothy. Now I guess my question is I pretty much free feed him when his bowl is empty i put more in. Am I supposed to feed him like that or am I supposed to feed him like I do my others once a day 1/4 cup and lots of hay. He also drinks a lot of water, I suppose that isn't a bad thing. Some advice please :)

Proud mom of 4 fur-butts

I would not add any extra pellets (if you are using those) but keep the hay as unlimited as you can manage :) Same with water.

He's young enough that it's okay to feed him a lot of pellets (make sure he is still eating hay though). He needs the nutrients for his growing body and 1/4 of pellets a day probably isn't enough for him. That being said, I would just make sure that he is eating hay and don't overdo the pellets. Some buns will just eat the pellets and refuse to eat the hay, which isn't good. If your bun is like that, don't refill his pellet bowl until he finishes his hay.

If you got the Flemish from a breeder, consult the breeder about feeding guidelines. If you didn't get the Flemish from a breeder, take a look at the National Federation of Flemish Giant Rabbit Breeders' website. Someone near you (relatively "near," that is) will be happy, I'm sure, to help you feed your growing Flemmie properly.

The usual guidelines for "free feeding until X months of age" and "neuter at X months of age" are different for Flemish Giants because they have so much more growing to do than other breeds. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere along the line (one of the breeds I wanted was FGs) about this, but can't claim anything other than "what I read on the Internet from some Flemish Giant websites."

A breeder or FG show family will know the right info. :D

Latest posts

Back