feeding them pumpkin???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apebull

Reaction score
Can you feed them cooked pumpkin??? and how often??? and how much???

Here's why I'm asking. Yesterday Twigs was not feeling well at all. I noticed it in the morning around 9:30ish when I finally woke up and fed him. He was just laying around and not into eating. I though that's not normal but oh well. About an hour later he was laying in his litter box. The only time he does this is when he's not feeling well. So I got my daughter to syringe him some water and try to get him to eat hay. Around noon-1 she gave him some pain meds from when he was neutered. We kept forcing water in him all day. By about 7 that evening I went and got some baby gas meds to see if that would help. Then at around 9:30 in the evening I gave him more pain meds and this time I was sure he got it, along with some pumpkin juice from defrosting cooked pumpkin. Well I woke up around 2am to check on him and he was not only running around like a silly bunny but was begging for a treat so I knew he was fine. Today he's back to normal but I'm not sure what hit him yesterday.

I know you can feed them baby food pumpkin or canned pumpkin but is that the same as cooked pumpkin? We buy and cook (boil) a couple every year to make pumpkin bread so I always have it on hand. Should I be feeding him some when he's shedding to help with hair and if so how much??? It's not mashed or anything it's just boiled and had a bunch of the water squeezed out. But trust me there's still plenty of juice still in it. He has been shedding really really bad the past few weeks. I mean hair everywhere.

cooked is safe but I'm not sure if it has the same effect. just give him a little bit everyday when he's shedding or has a blockage. my vet told me to use it when my bun had GI stasis.

Last edited:
there is no exact amount that I'm aware of so just give a little when he is in a large molt or seems to have a blockage. it doesn't need to be given everday just occasionally.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back