Quantcast

Feeding size

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

raven123

Reaction score
So I have two bunnies that are separated for now and I was wondering how much to feed them. I heard that It’s about a quarter cup for like 5 or 6 pounds and Hermione is 4 pounds and Skylar is 2 pounds. They are both above 6 months. Hermione is 4 and a half years old. Skylar is 7 months old. I was wondering how much pellets to give to a bunny that is 4 pounds and a bunny that is 2 pounds. Thank you!

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends on what else you feed them (and who you ask ;) )

I assume they get unlimited grass hay. Do they also get fed greens?

The House Rabbit Society has a recommendation of 1/4 for a 5-7 lb rabbit. However, that does not mean that a rabbit half that size should get half the pellets. For the super small rabbits that are under 5 lbs, pellet amount will depend on other factors like body condition and activity level.

Since smaller rabbit tend to have higher activity levels, they may need that full 1/4 cup of pellets. If they start getting chunky, then the pellets can be reduced.

1605984019058.png

raven123

Reaction score
Ok thank you. I have been feeding my Holland lop (Hermione) a 1/4 cup and I reduced Skylars to 1/8 but I have been working lately to slowly increase that amount to a 1/4 cup as well. They do get greens twice a day and unlimited hay and water.

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I basically gauge the pellet amount by how much hay they are eating and if they are maintaining a healthy weight. If they aren't eating a pile of hay the size of their body each day, reduce pellet amount so more hay is consumed. If they are eating more than a pile the size of their body a day, then pellet amounts could be increased slightly if desired. Then just keep an eye on body condition to make sure the rabbit maintains a healthy weight. As well as making sure of healthy looking poop and good digestive function. Pellet amounts are less important than ensuring a rabbit is eating plenty of hay to keep that digestive tract moving well, provided the rabbit is also staying at a good weight.

raven123

Reaction score
Ok thank you, i will keep an eye on how much hay Skylars eating. I don’t know how much hay she regularly eats so i will keep an eye on that but I think it’s about the size of her body. She is a very small bun though so I don’t know.