Feeding Schedule?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Other than unlimited hay. Is there any fault with mine? I know I ask a lot about feeding, but diet and poops are so important and I always want to make sure I'm giving Freya the best opportunity to maintain good health.

Morning: 1/8 cup of pellets and 1 cup of leafy greens.

Afternoon: 1/16 cup of pellets and half of a treat.

Evening: 1 cup of leafy greens.

Night: 1/16 cup of pellets and the other half of the treat.

All Day: Unlimited Timothy and Orchard hay, hand mixed.

Pellets: Oxbow Essentials Young Rabbit Alfalfa Pellets

Treat: Oxbow Simple Rewards Apple and Banana

Leafy Greens: Romaine Lettuce, Cilantro, Mint, and Rosemary

Rabbit: Freya, Female Mini Satin, 5 1/2 months old, 3 lbs.

She gets the most food in the morning after a long night in her cage with just water and hay. When I wake up I let her out into the pen and I give her 1/8 cup of pellets. I then head to the kitchen and prepare her salad, of which she is now up to 4 different leafy greens. She's usually about halfway through eating her pellets by the time I get back with the salad. She eats the salad and then finishes off the rest of the pellets over the course of about an hour.

She's then left with hay for about 6 hours until the afternoon when she receives 1/16 cup of pellets and half of a treat so she's not stuck waiting all day for something tasty. Then supper time rolls around and she gets another salad. When it's time for bed the easiest way to get her into the cage for the night is to entice her with another 1/16 cup of pellets and the other half of her treat. She's then locked up while she eats and is stuck with water and hay until the morning.

This amounts to 1/4 cup of pellets, 2 cups of leafy greens, and 1 treat per day. Is it appropriate to break this up into 4 feedings throughout the day or should I be giving her two feedings, one in the morning and one in the evening, and a whole treat at once?

Looks good to me too. No reason you can't break up feedings into more than one or two. It's actually better to have it broken up.

The only thing I can see, would be that now she's getting close to being an adult bun, sometime soon would be good to start transitioning to a grass based adult pellet, and possibly also reducing the amount. She's a small rabbit, so doesn't need a lot of pellets. As long as she's eating a lot of hay and has really good healthy sized fecal balls, you can decide if she's good at the amount you're currently feeding or if you should reduce the amount at all.

Latest posts

Back