Feeding rabbits that live together

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashclaire

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have two rabbits, Claire and Ashley. Claire is a mini Rex that has lived with us nearly five years, since she was a baby bun, while Ashley is a rescue we took in last fall. I think Ash is a Himalayan, as they are similar sizes, I estimate around 4 pounds each. I followed all the rules to bond them. They got along very well right from the beginning, aside from a little mounting and squabbling. About six weeks ago I moved them in together, with very good results, and they seem very happy. There is mutual grooming between the two, and they are almost always sleeping together. My only concern is that Ashley may be eating more than her fair share of their food. I feed free choice timothy, veggies almost every day, and between 1/4 - 1/2 cup each of pellets. There are two litter boxes and two bowls in the cage, and I divide the pellets and hay between each. Ashley is quite a butterball now, and while Claire isn't skinny, I did notice her backbone was more prominent now than it was before I moved them in. Not extremely prominent, but definitely more noticeable than it was, or than Ashley's is. However, she still has a substantial dewlap and is not ribby under her coat. I was hoping someone might have some thoughts, or similar experiences. :)Thanks! Christy

Try feeding them in separate areas of the cage. This will allow them to eat without the other right there and you can monitor them better. If they will not eat apart, then at least use 2 bowls and put them a little apart.
Spread out the feedings. If you give pellets once a day, start giving them twice or even 3 times. This allows the one that eats fast to eat but also gives the slower one a chance to eat enough as well.
You may need to put them in separate cages during feeding. This can just mean having one in the cage and the other in a small pen.
You might need to adjust the amount of pellets you give. Consider each as an individual and try to give less to one and more to the other.

It can be tough to balance feeding 2 bonded rabbits who have different eating habits. Changing what you feed can also make a difference, you might consider mixing a lower protein pellet in with what you currently give.

I have the same problem with my bonded pair, willow is a Rex and Walter is a lop and are totally different sizes. Willow eats like miss piggy while Walter not so much. Willow ia a full figured gal while Wally is more of a normal to thinner size but not skinny. I feed like you in separate bowls etc. But miss fatty always is first to the lunch line while Walter hangs back and is more reserved. Still have yet to come to a solution that is satisfactory to all. I am anxious to read the suggestions you get, maybe I will find a solutio too!

This was something I was wondering too, one of mine eats faster than the other, but one of the two always, ALWAYS tips his bowl over to eat - so different eating habits too. If one always finishes his pellets before leaving the bowl and the other comes back later for his, the first one will have eaten all those pellets too.

I was wondering how to deal with this too. My buns aren't bonded yet, but once they are... One get's free fed, because he doesn't gorge himself. The other will eat anything you put in front of him, no matter the amount. :rollseyes I'm going to have the same kind of issue with litter habits... One refuses to use a grated litter box, the other will throw all the litter out of the box if there isn't a grate. I'm thinking they might end up as playmates, but not housemates... *sigh*

Hi all,
Thank you all for the replies on this thread, sorry I'm late getting back to it. Over the last few days I have noticed a lot of mounting going on between my two girls, after I hadn't seen any in some time. So I've decided to separate them for now. The cage they are in is custom made, so I plan on just inserting a panel to keep them on their respective sides. They can still see/smell/touch each other, but they can't chase each other around any more. It may be that this mounting was upsetting Claire, disrupting her eating habits, or perhaps that Ashley was simply being a hog. In any case, I'll revisit the idea of letting them live together down the line. Ty for the help. :)

Christy

Latest posts

Back