Feeding an Older Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinksMama

Reaction score
My friend who is watching the bunnies while I'm traveling, just told me that our oldest, Sparkle (9 year old Mini Lop Mix), is not interested in eating her pellets. She's been on a diet of Kent pellets for the majority of her life with some hay on occasion.

My friend is going to the pet store tomorrow to buy Oxbow Essentials Adult Rabbit Food, Oxbow Orchard Grass Hay and she'll be getting some veggies soon.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm going to try and get some critical care, but I'm not sure how well that's gonna go.

I sometimes supplement Nutrical for cats/dogs to older rabbits because it has important nutrients and is easy to digest/metabolize.

There could be health reasons for not eating the pellets. Usually a rabbit will keep eating pellets unless there is something wrong like a health issue or being stressed. A vet check, with special attention on the teeth, is a good idea.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
There could be health reasons for not eating the pellets. Usually a rabbit will keep eating pellets unless there is something wrong like a health issue or being stressed. A vet check, with special attention on the teeth, is a good idea.

I thought about that, but I'm several states away right now so I'm not too sure how it would work. I'll have her check her over really well (She breeds bunnies, so she provides most the vet care for they need and knows what to look for). She's done this before, I'm wondering if she's just sick of eating the same thing. She's eating Oats and Bananas just fine, I'm gonna have her give some veggies everyday too. Any suggestions for good lettuces? She loves Carrots, Apples and Bananas but I don't think it's a very good idea to give her those types of things everyday. I was thinking maybe like some organic spring mix with like the baby spinach and romaine in it.

Here's the ingredients in the one that I eat: Organic Baby Lettuces (Red and Green Romaine, Red and Green Oak Leaf, Red Leaf, Lollo Rosa, Tango), Organic Mizuna, Organic Red and Green Chard, Organic Baby Spinach, Organic Arugula, Organic Frisée, Organic Radicchio. I can't figure out if it's 100% safe for bunnies, I looked on HRS's website and can only find some of the lettuces, so I thought I'd post the ingredient list here to see what other people think. If it helps at all it's the Earthbound Organic Spring Mix.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just really worried about her. I also forgot to mention that she's not spayed.

Coal was 13 1/2 when she passed to the bridge. The last couple of months I knew she was going down hill so I gave her smaller pellets--same brand but for Piggies and Hammies. I also gave her alfalfa as she almost quit hay till I made the change and I also upped the amount of herbs like cilantro and parsley and cut down on dandelions and romaine. Really do miss her.

Thanks everyone for your replies! :)

I ordered Critical Care and Oxbow Bunny Food for Sparky. :)

She's eating hay, fruits and veggies for now until the pellets get to her, and that should be on the 5th.

I don't know...it's possible. The bunnies have been at her place for three months though. Then again, my sister has had her since she was 4-6 weeks old.

Latest posts

Back