Feeding Amount Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I feed Blue Seal Show Hutch Deluxe mixed withManna Pro Show Formula. They all love their mix.The Blue Seal pellets are different then the others, so I weighed itall out and basically, I give everyone an extra 1/4 cup.

Anyway, I know that larger bunnies aren't fed the same way.I'm wondering how much I should be feeding Corky? Right nowI'm giving her 1 1/4 cup, but she always seems hungry. Shealso gets unlimited hay. She'sa good weight, but Idon't want to short her food either. I'm going to have thesame problem with Sampson, Anissa, Delilah and Cedric are moved tolimited amounts. How long should I feed Cedric unlimitedpellets? He's an E. Lop, so I'm not sure about the typicaltime. I was thinking 8 months old, but I'm notsure. I'm going to give the Flemish unlimited until they are18 months old.

Thanks,

Jen

How much does Corky weigh right now? (How old is she?)

I free feed our Flemish until they are 14 months old. I freefeed the Mini Rex and Dutch until they are 3 months (or they reachadult weight). Our Flemish get 2 - 2 1/2 cups of pellets oncea day. The mini Rex and Dutch get just a touch over 1/2 cup aday. All our rabbits get free feed hay allday. Plus they get their "salad bowls" twice aweek... fresh fruit and veges.

If the bunny, especially the larger breeds, is still growing at 14months, I usually give them a tiny bit more, unless I see they aregetting flabby and fat. You can tell if they are too thin ortoo fat when you run your hand down their spine and hips or under theirbelly.

Hope this all helps...

I'll have to weigh her to get a good weight onher. I just adopted her a few months ago from her previousowner. She is over a year old now. I posted photosand people thought she was probably Flemish or mostlyFlemish. I don't think she's pure, but there is definitelyFlemmie in there.

Ok, now I'm a bit worried about Sampson. He's 7 months old,pure Flemish, already weighs around 13-15 lbs, but he doesn't eat thatmuch. I fill his dish, which holds about 1 1/2 cups of fooddaily, but there is almost always some left at the bottom. Ishe eating enough? I mean, he's a moose, so I'm not at allworried about his weight, but are his bones going to be strong enough?

BlueGiants: I'll bump the photos of Corky and maybe you can take a guess about what she is. Thanks!

Jen

BlueGiants wrote:
How much does Corky weigh right now? (How old is she?)

I free feed our Flemish until they are 14 months old. I freefeed the Mini Rex and Dutch until they are 3 months (or they reachadult weight). Our Flemish get 2 - 2 1/2 cups of pellets oncea day. The mini Rex and Dutch get just a touch over 1/2 cup aday. All our rabbits get free feed hay allday. Plus they get their "salad bowls" twice aweek... fresh fruit and veges.

If the bunny, especially the larger breeds, is still growing at 14months, I usually give them a tiny bit more, unless I see they aregetting flabby and fat. You can tell if they are too thin ortoo fat when you run your hand down their spine and hips or under theirbelly.

Hope this all helps...

Was just looking at my baby girl, Cali, last night and trying to decideif I should start to put her on the limited pellet amountnow. She looks like if she keeps going at the rate she is,she could start to push the scales in too much of the upwarddirection.

She's been free-fed up until this point and she's just about a year and1/2 now. I think I can cut out the manna.Showrabbits had said to free-feed with the manna until her dewlap growsin. It's really starting, but still hasa way togo.

:ponder:

-Carolyn

now I'm a bit worried aboutSampson. He's 7 months old, pure Flemish, already weighsaround 13-15 lbs, but he doesn't eat that much. I fill hisdish, which holds about 1 1/2 cups of food daily, but there is almostalways some left at the bottom. Is he eatingenough? I mean, he's a moose, so I'm not at all worried abouthis weight, but are his bones going to be strong enough?

He isn't going to starve himself... he must be quite content.If he wasn't getting what he needs, he wouldn't be growing.Just make sure he has hay... I do find the boys eat less thanthe girls as they get older... I would measurewhat I put inhis bowl, then measure what he leaves after one day... subtract and seehow much he's really eating.

Now I remember seeing Corky's photo's! I do think she looks"mostly" Flemish. That blue color ina large rabbitis mostly seen in Flemish and Beveran. (Is thephoto color true? Is she a blue??? She looksgorgous!) Keep in mind some lines of blues only reach 12 - 13lbs. so she could be all Flem!:jumpforjoy:

Was just looking at my baby girl, Cali, last night and trying todecide if I should start to put her on the limited pellet amountnow.

In my opinion, at a year and a half, I would start cuttingback. You can't always wait for the dewlap, cause some doesdon't grow one until they are bred and have a litter. (Andsome spayed does don't get one at all.) You really don't wanther building up fat at this young an age. Cut her backgradually, over 10 - 14 days. (A little bit lesseach day...)and of course, lots of hay.(I don't need to say that to you... but just in case someone needs toknow...) :wink:

:highfive:

I'm going to play weigh the bunny tomorrow, soI'll know exactly what Corky weighs. She does have 1 ear thatflops, but so does Elvis, my Californian and my vet says he had somesort of trauma to his ears and the cartilage was broken and didn't healto a point where they would stand completely again.

Just when I wrote that Sampson doesn't eat as much as I think heshould, he makes a liar of me. He devoured 2 complete dishesof food today and I just refilled it again. Maybe he's goingto have another growth spurt. At this rate, he's going to bea monster! To be the same size as his parents, he only needsto gain 4-6 lbs and he's only 7 months old!!

Jen

His growth will slow down after 8months. He'll still be growing, just not as fast.But a lot of my bucks are not full grown until they are 10-12 months(even though they are supposed to be Seniors at 8 months ofage.) In general, the girls seem to mature much quicker.

I've had a Flemish with a "lop" ear. Yes, it's usually due totrauma. Sometimes it becomes less noticable as they growup.

BlueGiants wrote:
Was just looking at my baby girl, Cali, last night andtrying to decide if I should start to put her on the limited pelletamount now.

In my opinion, at a year and a half, I would start cuttingback. You can't always wait for the dewlap, cause some doesdon't grow one until they are bred and have a litter. (Andsome spayed does don't get one at all.) You really don't wanther building up fat at this young an age. Cut her backgradually, over 10 - 14 days. (A little bit lesseach day...)and of course, lots of hay.(I don't need to say that to you... but just in case someone needs toknow...) :wink:

:highfive:

Thanks BlueGiants! I had a feeling it was time.Unfortunately she doesn't care for hay. She'll steal it outof Fauna's cage if she can - but just a piece or two. Nomatter how much I load up for her, she doesn't touch it. Willstart cutting back. Thanks again!

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back