Feed question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaze_Amita

Reaction score
Now I know we had a thread(it's on page 2 now) about PenPals, but it's not completely related to that topic that was started.
Okay So I've had mine on PenPals for 4 months now, it was the same price as Purina Show, the dealer for Purina Show is two towns over, Penpals the next town over- so PenPals was closer as well. Everyone I talked to swore by PenPals and told me I wouldn't go wrong switching. So I tried the switch, and the past two months have been a total disaster on their coats, they've been molting for 2 MONTHS. I left my New Zealands on Purina Green bag, and I've already switched the last of my Holland lops back to Purina green bag- all of them are doing much better, my two seriously old Holland bucks (7 year old and a 6 year old) have more energy, and in general just a lot happier and they eat. I've switched two of my dutch bucks and one dutch doe back- and they're eating again- they had quit eating PenPals. I've got a couple of others that were raised on PenPals 16% and now on my PenPal's show and even their coats are crap. I don't understand it, it the PenPals is supposedly the best stuff out there, why were my coat conditions fine for a couple of months and then all of a sudden they just took a dive and started molting and just will not stop molting! I felt down one of my homebred babies- raised on the PenPals and his coat is disgusting! Did they recently change the formula?

I honestly don't know if they have changed their formula but the one bag we were able to get the rabbits didn't horribly molt but they definitely didn't eat it like the purina. Some would still have half a bowl left from the day before.

Are you able to add some black oil sunflower seeds? I know you shouldn't have to but it might help. . . Sounds like a bad situation tho

I'm still learning...black oil sunflower seed? I keep that for my chickens. Is it good to add to the bunny diet? I'd happily toss in a few seeds if it' a good thing for Jovi. He's still just a young guy though and hasn't had his first molt.

Changing feeds often induces molt and it's about that time of year anyway. Most of the time, I've heard it said that you should give new feed a chance for about 6 months (pending any disasters, of course) before calling it quits. It does take rabbits some time to adjust.

The quality of different feeds is largely dependent on the area too. The closer you are to the mill and the fresher you can get your food, the better. That tends to make all the difference. :)

Some people swear by PenPals and some don't like how it affects their rabbits. We didn't have a chance to really see how well ours did on it since we didn't want to have to special order to get it. I do know they liked it better than Bluebonnet. We've tried different feeds and end up going back to Purina (Show)...it just seems to work for us.

We don't put BOSS in our feed all the time, just mix it in once a week or so. We use it mainly around our show season to help with coat and condition. Feed too much and they'll gain weight.

I'm still learning...black oil sunflower seed? I keep that for my chickens. Is it good to add to the bunny diet? I'd happily toss in a few seeds if it' a good thing for Jovi. He's still just a young guy though and hasn't had his first molt.

It's certainly not needed. I believe it's more a little something to add for bunnies that are going into shows to help improve coat condition.

I know to wait the 6 months but a few of them I couldn't wait, they just will not eat the PenPals and were losing weight. One dutch buck(Eliot) and the doe(Natalie) are not even 2 years old, the other dutch buck(Colby) is just over 2 years. Colby was at first I thought wormy so I wormed him, and then he just dropped his weight, I got him eating again(he was also given probiotics after the worming) but he's still skinny as heck. I've called the Purina dealer to order me in some fresh Purina Show and I'll mix that with the green bag for a week and go full blue bag again. I just don't know if I should trust the PenPals. I'm not sure where the mill is. I know the Nutrena I had tried, changed their recipe and the buns didn't eat it afterwards- I just don't know what to do anymore. I've never been a huge fan of Purina, but if that's what they'll eat then best for it. I've cut off their hay, they get alfalfa cubes every couple of days but this is bad. I don't know if it's the weather down here or what it is but it's not been good. I've got some oats here that I can top with to get them going but hopefully I can pull their coats back into shape before September when the fall show season starts.
Sorry to rant, but geez, i'm just very frustrated. I've got little over a 5 gallon bucket left of PenPals and the Blue bag will be in, in a few days(THANK HEAVENS) Won't be much of a change over but it'll be something at least.

Latest posts

Back