Fecal Tests Sent In to Lab for my bun- what next?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floyd2019

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
So I finally got paid and was able ti grab some fresh droppings from Floyd's litter and bring it to the vet (200 smackaroos for a culture test and parasite test).
The vet receptionist didn't know how long it would take and said no one was in to ask (odd) so I am assuming it'll be a few days before I hear back.
Curious about other rabbit owners experiences with fecal tests! What could they find? The big mystery here is it really seems as though it is Floyd's actual fecal pellets that get wet and soft and clump together.
Has anyone experienced this before? And was it delt with after a fecal test?
Maybe these are dumb questions I'm just curious! Part of me wants them to find nothing but I also want an explanation for why his poo goes weird and soft sometimes to the extreme of pure diarrhea! I want to fix this.

It has started to go soft again, I happen to know my pet sitter gave him way too many pellets, feeding him both A.M and P.M which i never do. So I really want the results back fast!! No pellets for dinner tonight :/

Parasites can cause it. Then there's also megacolon, which is something white spotted rabbits in particular are prone to. I had a dwarf hotot that had it and the only time his fecal poop would get soft is when I was trying to see if I could reintroduce pellets to his diet, and when a batch of timothy hay was too soft and rich and not coarse enough with stalky stems. Otherwise, as long as I kept his diet a medium coarse timothy hay, select leafy greens, and no sugary/starchy foods or pellets, then his poop remained relatively normal for a megacolon bun. He would still get some of the odd shaped and irregular sized fecal poop, but it was as normal as it was going to get for him.
https://www.vgr1.com/megacolon/

Parasites can cause it. Then there's also megacolon, which is something white spotted rabbits in particular are prone to. I had a dwarf hotot that had it and the only time his fecal poop would get soft is when I was trying to see if I could reintroduce pellets to his diet, and when a batch of timothy hay was too soft and rich and not coarse enough with stalky stems. Otherwise, as long as I kept his diet a medium coarse timothy hay, select leafy greens, and no sugary/starchy foods or pellets, then his poop remained relatively normal for a megacolon bun. He would still get some of the odd shaped and irregular sized fecal poop, but it was as normal as it was going to get for him.
https://www.vgr1.com/megacolon/
I actually looked into megacolon back when my bunny first started being sick as his cecotropes would be these giant long logs. He was off pellets for a very long time up until a few weeks ago when he wasnt eating and had diarrhea so i gave him pellets to entice him to eat and it worked. I'm not sure but does megacolon cause diarrhea? I dont3 remember reading about that when i had been researching it. Also floyd has spots, he is white and grey, a rex/lionhead mix. He is not a charlie bun though.
I have been reading about coccidia as well but i dont know why he would have been affected by it after he came to my house where i have no other pets? It freaks me out as everything i read says you can't get rid of coccidia but his symptoms kind of match up a bit...I'm definitely nervous, i just want him to be healthy

Latest posts

Back