Fat bunny anonymous part 3!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So since our big trauma with Fraggles we have decided that we NEED to control her weight and change her diet.

Jason sat down with her today and told her she has eaten her last nilla wafer,that she is no longer allowed to steal from his dinner plate and he will not be bringing her home a bread stick from olive garden anymore (I did not know he was doing that!!! :nope:). We are determined to correct her weight problem. So in the spirit of this who is going to join us?

Lets talk about bunny weight and eating habits and feel free to use this spot to ask questions. Anyone who has read my fat bunny anonymous postings before knows that they can post about fat bunnies and there eating issues without fear of judgment or negative comments. Thats the rule, if you dont have something nice or helpful to say then please dont say it. I will delete any comments I find to be critical.

So post away, who's bunnies are going to join Fraggles in going from this :eats: to this :muscleman:...... I know your out there...Daisy Mae? Rueben??? Sophie????? Who is with us?

Can I just say, I really didn't know weight could be an issue for rabbits. Or did I know that there are rabbits who would eat things like vanilla wafers or bread sticks! I guess since S.D. Is my first house bunny, just haven't experienced it. It's funny, I've tried to give him non bunny foods like cookies, cereal, etc. but he's not interested, just shakes his nose and runs away.

Good luck with Fraggles' diet!

we are new to bunny raising and honestly have no idea how to tell if a bunny is over weight or not. We were told our rabbits are a mix of standard Rex and lion head. Our one rabbit (male) is about 5lbs. DH stepped on the scale with him and subtracted his weight. He is probably between 8-10 months old.

The female rabbits are bigger. We haven't weighed them yet. But i'm guessing they're around 7-8 lbs. They're the same age as the male rabbit.

Food wise.

every day they get Green veggies (about 2c per rabbit), pellets (between 1/4-1/2c. depending on which rabbit i'm feeding), and unlimited timothy hay.

Chris mom to lots of rabbits, 4 daughters, a dog, and a husband

Yes weight can be a big issue and take it from me dont start your bun on non-bunny foods. Once they start enjoying that stuff its very hard to not give them a "nibble" here and there. A bunny should feel filled out but not flabby. Feeling a little bone is OK and a good sign that your bun is at a good weight. Fraggles has "love handles" around her hips and a spare tire around her middle. She also has a large dewlap that is bigger then it should be. It sounds like your bunnies are getting a good diet Chris but rex breeds are prone to weight gain so make sure they get lots of run time.

Sebi needs to loose some....lol. like half a pound i think. Hes just so lazy he sits there all day!

It's an extreme case, but that nearly 40-lb cat Meow who was in the news lately, succumbed to the previous owner's overfeeding. I'm sure it must be difficult to keep a free-roam rabbit out of people food. With an x-pen it's much easier & I think offsets the fact that there's less space to run around in.

I wonder if there's a mechanical cat [& rabbit] wand available, so you wouldn't have to be doing it so much. What happens when you throw a big piece of packing paper over Fraggles or Sebille? Honey loves to find her way out. Other times she'd rather tear it up.

Fraggles, Daisy Mae here. I keep hearing Mommie say I need to loose weight. She's threatening me to cut off all dose bunderful tweats. But I'm too cute and when I beg at the cage door or the kitchen door she always gives me something.

Mommie says I'm so cute when I come running for those treats that she can't resist giving me one or two.

Fraggles I think you should get on a plane and come live with me and Mommie.

I think your Daddy (Jason) is doing the right thing giving you all those treats. I tink this is your Mommie's (Katie's) "Bright Idea". NOT.

We'll pretend to be dieting. Hee Hee.

Hugs

Your Petite Lionhead Bunny

Daisy Mae

Ladies, sometime you may no longer be able to come running for treats if you aren't careful. And you want to be able to reach your cecals, don't you; not have them get all squishy on your butt?

Daisy Mae, petite means short, not thin. For humans, there are petite women's sizes; 20pw etc.

Lol...i have a kitten he doesnt budge for and only gets ip when babys on top of him of tuggin on his ears, hes just a fat lazy boy. Having babies around hes been a bit better though. Hes a popcorn junkie though

Actually Harvey's on a little diet. To also get him to eat more hay. To be honest he's only a little over weight. I'm not used to rabbits and boney is ok. Whereas it's not good for a cat to be boney. I am now feeding half his pellets at night (he would graze on his pellets alll day and ignore his hay). I still like to give him banana chips and oats, but I've cut back on those.

**Harvey was a bit of a chunk when I got him :expressionless**

Now my fat cat is the one that really needs to lose weight. It's tough with him because he steals food from the other cat and never gets people food. I need one of those cat exercise wheels.

Muppet is not a good hay eater also but here are some tricks.Offer hay in smaller amounts several times a day. Also if you give him four or five pellets at a time threw out the day he will eat them and stimulate his appetite thus getting him to want to eat the hay.

That's another good idea :) Tho that was what he basically was doing. He would make his pellets last all day. He's getting the idea now that hay is good. :D he's eating it finally haha.

Yes, Sophie is watching her figure. She is getting much more trim since she gets lots of run time now.

However, Gary is starting to get a little too round in the rump. Being a mini-rex I don't want him to end up with sore hocks, so he has had his snack ration reduced. I now give Becky her extra snacks while snuggling so she doens't get too thin and Gary is running around so he doesn't notice. It is working well so far.

I also use cat treat dispencers for part of their pellets so they have to work to get the food. If they are truly hungry there is always hay. As it is for Katie, it has been mostly about training my husband not to be so free with the fruit snacks and cherios. He thinks we are "starving" them because they beg all the time.

"Oh look at the poor wee hungry bun" :pleaseplease:

They know a soft touch when they see one & if they were really wee buns their intake wouldn't be a problem. As Marie Antoinette didn't exactly say "let them eat hay & greens."

Ah, this topic is needed! I was looking at Reuben the other day, and realized his diet is not working at all...I think he has put on weight. :p Oh dear! I'm going to try a different brand of pellets, and see how that goes. It's so dang hard to find a decent brand over here, though!

He is a greedy sod though. :p I had a mug on my floor this morning; I can't remember what I had in it, but was probably black tea, and he tried sticking his head in and drinking the dregs of it. His head got stuck!:p It isn't often you see him in a silly position, and he let me know my laughter was not appreciated. :wink

Latest posts

Back