Farm Fresh Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping someone out there might know of a farm that sells their hay online with really good quality hay.

My rabbit cannot eat anything except timothy hay. No pellets. No vegetables. No treats. We can't even give him glucosamine for his joints. The really bad news is he has always been a picky hay eater.

AFAIK, I have bought every brand of hay that is available in the US over the years but am hoping I am missing something.

Sierra Valley Hay is the best brand I've ever found but they are out of 2nd cut until they can harvest their crop in September. The weather in Northern California in 2017 was harsh on them. The 1st cut is hit and miss in terms of whether he will eat it full-time. He loves their 1st cut Orchard grass but it made him very sick because it upset his GI system when we went to that type almost full time.

I've tried all of the more commercial types: Oxbow, American Pet Diner, Small Pet Select, Carefresh Hay, and more. For the direct farms I have tried: Farmer Dave's, Sweet Meadow Farm, One Ear Up, and Rabbit Hole Hay. (FWIW, even though American Pet Diner looks really bad, he eats it for some reason - even more than local farm hay)

I have a shipment pending from Alfalfa King. I also bought 60lbs from a feed store last weekend for the first time and he eats some of it but he's not excited about it. He will eat some and then beg for different food.

After buying all of this hay, even I can tell the difference in quality. 75% of the hay I mentioned above is just awful. I guess it's not stored right and some brands even add something to the hay to make it smell "good" but it's not. I also think there are probably just some parts of the country with a climate and soil that just aren't conducive to growing really good timothy hay.

I feel so bad because he is hungry. I'd make up critical care for him every day for the rest of his life but I know that would ultimately cause an overgrowth of his cecotrophes like all other foods.

Sorry for the long post.. if anyone knows of any farms that sell online, it would be appreciated very much.

Thanks

Hello,

I was hoping someone out there might know of a farm that sells their hay online with really good quality hay.

My rabbit cannot eat anything except timothy hay. No pellets. No vegetables. No treats. We can't even give him glucosamine for his joints. The really bad news is he has always been a picky hay eater.

AFAIK, I have bought every brand of hay that is available in the US over the years but am hoping I am missing something.

Sierra Valley Hay is the best brand I've ever found but they are out of 2nd cut until they can harvest their crop in September. The weather in Northern California in 2017 was harsh on them. The 1st cut is hit and miss in terms of whether he will eat it full-time. He loves their 1st cut Orchard grass but it made him very sick because it upset his GI system when we went to that type almost full time.

I've tried all of the more commercial types: Oxbow, American Pet Diner, Small Pet Select, Carefresh Hay, and more. For the direct farms I have tried: Farmer Dave's, Sweet Meadow Farm, One Ear Up, and Rabbit Hole Hay. (FWIW, even though American Pet Diner looks really bad, he eats it for some reason - even more than local farm hay)

I have a shipment pending from Alfalfa King. I also bought 60lbs from a feed store last weekend for the first time and he eats some of it but he's not excited about it. He will eat some and then beg for different food.

After buying all of this hay, even I can tell the difference in quality. 75% of the hay I mentioned above is just awful. I guess it's not stored right and some brands even add something to the hay to make it smell "good" but it's not. I also think there are probably just some parts of the country with a climate and soil that just aren't conducive to growing really good timothy hay.

I feel so bad because he is hungry. I'd make up critical care for him every day for the rest of his life but I know that would ultimately cause an overgrowth of his cecotrophes like all other foods.

Sorry for the long post.. if anyone knows of any farms that sell online, it would be appreciated very much.

Thanks

Here's some you may not have tried (I personally have not tried any of these though, we use SPS):

https://kmshayloft.com/

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25093

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16699

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7QG8IU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20'

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back